Iron Brewer Challenge!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seedly

Reaction score
I recently had a little error with an online homebrew shop and need a little help figuring out what to do with the results.

I ordered 10# of Belgian Pilsner and 2# of Munich for a Belgian Golden. I actually ended up with 12# of Munich. Customer Service was nice and replaced my Pilsner along with a $20 gift certificate since my Labor Day brew weekend got ruined.

The Belgian turned out fine and is sitting in bottles now, but I am left with a conundrum...What do I do with the 10# of Munich malt?

My understanding is that Munich is kilned at a higher temperature than Pale malts, leading to a maltier profile but lower diastatic activity. Supposedly it can be used as a base malt and will convert on its own, but as Ive only done 2 all grain BIAB batches so far I am a bit nervous to go that route.

Any recipe suggestions? I thought of doing a 50/50 blend with 2-row and a bit of Chocolate malt for a porter, but as Ive never really used Munich, I dont know exactly what qualities it would bring to the beer.

Challenge: Id like to get a totally free batch out of this if possible. Under $20 on additional ingredients is a plus.

You don't need to use it all in one batch. I love Munich and use 2-3lbs in my pale and amber ales. I just reached for some this morning while brewing and realized I was out. Bummer! I substituted Vienna.

You could make a robust porter... something like:

73% 2 row
12% crystal 120L
8% Munich
5% Chocolate
2% Black Patent

or if you can't lager you can cheat an octoberfest with that yeast and use 50% Munich and 50% 2 row with a touch of chocolate.

You can save that Munich and spread it out over several different styles and batches. Great malt.

What temperatures can you ferment at?

If you can ferment at lager temps, a Munich Dunkel would be perfect.

Use all your Munich with 4-6 oz of Carafa Special II. Add around 20 ibu of noble hops for 60 min and 3 ibu for 20 min.

White Labs WLP833, Wyeast 2308 or Saflager dry S-23.

This is based on a recipe by Jamil for Munich Dunkel

Thanks for all the advice guys. I suppose I will take the advice above and spread it across several batches. sadly I don't really have the ability to lager, so that makes doing most german styles harder

I'd probably go with all of the Munich, and some noble hops, and make a beer. Munich can self convert, no problem, and you can make a very nice rich German ale with 100% Munich. That's what I'd do!

German Smash with a noble hop of your choice. Cheap, simple, and drinkable as hell.

Munich + Saaz would be nice.

There are a lot of different Munich malts. Briess kilns theirs to 10L or 20L, the rest of the world kilns their light munich to 5-6 and their dark to 8-10. Knowing which of these 4 products you have would help. The Briess malts can't be used as base malts; the rest can. I recently made a Doppelsticke Alt with 80% Light Munich. Since I had the same reservations you did about diastatic power, I added 20% malted wheat, although 2-row, 6-row or pils would have served the same purpose.

Latest posts

Back