Irish Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagsminers

Reaction score
I added a 1/2 cup of Honey & 1/2 cup of Brown sugar to try to tone down the bitterness and to make it smoother for all. Im ready to bottle, is there any way to lesson the bitterness?

Oh boy - be careful when you bottle. If you just added the honey and brown sugar, the yeast will consume those. You should wait for it to do so before adding priming sugar, otherwise you might end up with forty some bottle bombs in your house.

Aside from that, there's no quick answer to this one. Bitterness will subside over time, but we're talking months in the bottle. I would drink them as is and enjoy the bitterness. Your only other option would be to blend the beer with another beer.

yeah, how long ago did you add the honey and brown sugar? Those will ferment out and will dry the beer out, it might have the exact opposite effect from what you were intending.

Thanks guy's, bottling went well and its tasted awesome already. I added a habanero seeded and a jalapeño seeded and it goes well together with this. Cant wait to try!!!

Back