Irish red ale help...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mptonn

Reaction score
My wife and I are brewing our first batch of homebrew. Got an Irish red ale kit. We brewed it on February 15, and we lost the papers we wrote th sg on. Online the fg is supposed to be 1.010-1.012. Right now we are at 1.016. And I move the fermenting bucket the other day and it has started bubbling again. How long do we wait to bottle it, or is it ready?

Any help is appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Standard procedure is to let it sit in the primary for 3 to 4 weeks. To know if it is done fermenting, check the SG every couple of days. If it remains stable, you are good to go. If you bottle too early, and it is still fermenting, you can end up with bottle bombs. Loved the episode of Breaking Bad where Walter's brother in law (the DEA agent) hears what sounds like gun shots happening at his house. Turns out he is a home brewer, and in his garage the bottles were exploding.

I'm new to brewing but from what I've read, take another FG reading in a couple days, if it's the same, I'll wait another couple days and do it again, if still the same you're ready to rock n' roll!

Latest posts

Back