Irish Moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jklotz

Reaction score
I've been reading "How to Brew" by Palmer. Overall, a very good read. I do have a question though. He states that Irish Moss is not a good clarifying agent for extract brews. I've been using it, and still getting a little chill haze. Do you guys use it in your extract recipes? Is it something I should not do?

Thanks!

No, you can use it. I like Whirlfloc better, but it's ok to use Irish moss. He probably says it's not that effective in extract batches because of the way it works. In AG brewing, you get a "hot break" and it's great to use IM to help coagulate those proteins. In extract, that's already been done for you. So, the IM can't hurt, will probably help some, but it'll be more effective in AG batches.

I am guessing that one of the reasons you're having chill haze is because you're not getting a fast enough "cold break"- where you chill the wort to under 70 degrees in 15 minutes or so. That break material is also composed of coagulated proteins that would otherwise be apparent in the wort.

I've used it in extracts for a couple years and it's one little thing I disagree with Palmer about. Most of my extract batches I got some sort of hot break. Maybe not as big as my AG batches but there none the less. I've always had crystal clear beers with very little sediment in my bottles. To answer your question, IMO, use it!

I agree with the above post as well. My first 6 or 7 batches I did not use IM and they were pretty clear but not as clear when I use it. For no more than it cost and for what little added step I say use it...

Irish Moss does help clear extract beers but I think AG needs it more or that it works better with AG but I'd still use it for extract.

I've used Irish moss plenty in extracts, I havn't found it ever worked as well as the gelatin that I used in my last batch which I've just finished bottling. For me, at least, gelatin has cleared the beer far more effectively that Irish moss in my extracts.

I have seen a difference in using Irish Moss with my extract beers, although it is not a huge change. Given time they will all settle out, IM just seems to make that happen a bit quicker.

It is cheap and even a small bag seems to last many batches, no reason not to use it.

does the complete powerful, sour and frightening smell of irish moss have any effect on the flavor of the beer?

You know, mine doesn't seem to have any odor. I just rehydrate it in some warm water and put it in the boil with 10 minutes left.

Actually, I've been using whirlfloc more lately. It seems to work better for me. Maybe I've just forgotten the powerful smell?

mine is awful...sort of like the smell of parsley flakes. isn't whirlfloc just a refined form of irish moss? I think I might pick some of that up...I do extract brews

I have never noticed Irish moss doing anything weird to my brew. Works as intended as far as I can tell. I've not used whirlfloc, but on my next batch I have a tablet that came with the kit and I'll have to let you know how that turns out.

I have never noticed Irish moss doing anything weird to my brew. Works as intended as far as I can tell. I've not used whirlfloc, but on my next batch I have a tablet that came with the kit and I'll have to let you know how that turns out.

exactly right. It doesnt seem to do much to my brew either but ive never had clarity issues

Back