Irish Moss with an Oatmeal Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
Quick question, I'm going to try my hand at an oatmeal stout partial mash kit I'm getting from Northern Brewer. I also ordered 4oz of cocao nibs I'm going to soak in a single malt scotch for 24 hours and maybe have a coffee addition but not sure about the coffee yet.

Should I use some Irish Moss on this style of beer?

It really wouldn't have much effect, all things considered; stouts tend to be opaque or nearly so anyway, so clarifying the beer is a moot point.. There's no reason not to, but by the same token, no reason to do so, either.

I use whirlfloc (Irish moss) in every batch because it not only helps with clarity but it also aids in coagulation and precipitation of proteins during the cold break. A lot like shocking a pool. Then I filter the cool wort through a strainer and it helps reduce trub.

FWIW it was recommended in an oatmeal stout recipe I recently did from CloneBrews and seemed to nicely clarify its appearance. Obviously the stout is not opaque or anything, but it looks pretty pure if you know what I mean. Can't hurt.

Back