Irish Moss whirlfloc question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cincydave

Reaction score
If you dump everything from the boil into the fermentor, are you defeating the purpose of the irish moss or whirlfloc, or does it help things settle out in the fermentor? Tried using a straining funnel a few times and it just clogged up, so now just dump everything into the feremntor. Am I just wasting money on irish moss/whirfloc if I'm dumping protien break back into fermentor?

If you dump everything from the boil into the fermentor, are you defeating the purpose of the irish moss or whirlfloc, or does it help things settle out in the fermentor? Tried using a straining funnel a few times and it just clogged up, so now just dump everything into the feremntor. Am I just wasting money on irish moss/whirfloc if I'm dumping protien break back into fermentor?

Whirlfloc works to coagulate proteins, so that they are in big goobers leaving clear wort behind. They don't resuspend in the wort once they fall out, so putting on the wort into the fermenter won't cause the wort to no be clear. The heavier coagulated particles will just fall to the bottom of the fermenter, since they are heavier.

I've been thinking about this question as well lately. I now use WhirlFloc, and filter through a hop sock going into the fermenter. As I'm draining the kettle the wort above the 'flocced' stuff is crystal clear and beautiful. I think it's false-bottom time for me, combined with the hop sock. In the long run, though, it all will become trub as Yooper indicated. Kyle

Back