Irish Moss substitute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meinbrau

Reaction score
Greetings,
I am a long time brewer, and I work for a local company that manufactures custom equipment for the processing industry. A large percentage of our business deals with food related products, and we typically get samples for material testing purposes, auger sizing, etc.

One of my current projects will be transporting "Carrageenen" and I'd like to know if you have any experience/knowledge of brewers who may use this instead of the popular "Irish Moss" for clarifying agent. The literature describes it as a derivative of edible seaweed with uses such as "clarifier to remove haze-causing proteins in beer".

I'm thinking that I would be able to use this as a substitute for Irish Moss but just wanted to get some feedback.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Andy

It should work, Irish moss is just a colloquial name for carrageean. Whirl floc is refined carrageean, so Im pretty sure it will be fine.

Back