Irish moss in Wheat Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sovietnam

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I created a recipe for a Wheat Porter (I am calling it that because it should be a bit darker than a traditional Dunkelweizen) and I was wondering if I should use Irish Moss in it? I know with the darkness AND use of wheat it's not going to be clear anyway, but do you think it would help give it that "sparkly" look despite the darkness/cloudiness?

I wouldn't say I get "sparkly" clear beer with irish moss. I use it in basically every beer out of habit. The beers do clear much quicker with it, a couple weeks in the fridge will get them "sparkly" when all the chill haze clears. I imagine you will need to gelatin/biofine/filter the beer if you want that perfect clear-ness. I would still use it though simply because the beers seem to clear sooner after bottling, for me, others have differing opinions.

The Irish Moss is certainly going to help. Along with a good hot/cold break, higher calcium (if you treat water), and a highly flocculant yeast strain. With the right yeast your beer will drop crystal clear after 7-10 days in the fridge.

The Irish Moss is certainly going to help. Along with a good hot/cold break, higher calcium (if you treat water), and a highly flocculant yeast strain. With the right yeast your beer will drop crystal clear after 7-10 days in the fridge.
Thanks for the advice. I am using Danstar Munich, so it's non flocculant, but I don't mind the yeast haze, just wanted to get some of the proteins to settle out before it got to the carboy, and I'll do a careful cold crash and racking to help settle the trub once it's in there. I brewed it the other day and used the moss, and it seemed to work pretty well.

Latest posts

Back