Irish moss and yeast harvesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexhm104

Reaction score
Brewed a nice amber ale and used Irish moss in the boil. I've read a few other treads on the subject but the answer seems vague.

Normally you'll get three distinct layers out of a washing. I only have two. This has to be a product of the Irish moss.

So very simply, is this yeast viable?

Yes. I've done it many times. Irish moss should not affect viability.

To satisfy yourself, you might try making a mini-starter from a teaspoon of the slurry you have washed.

Thanks! Have you noticed any off flavors on the next batch due to the lack of yeast/trub separation?

Normally you'll get three distinct layers out of a washing. I only have two. This has to be a product of the Irish moss.

Saying that it has to be because of the Irish moss is quite an assumption. I've been using Whirlfloc (similar chemically to Irish moss) in my boils since before I started yeast harvesting. Sometimes I get three layers, sometimes only two. I suspect that it depends more on the strain being used than anything else.

So very simply, is this yeast viable?

Yes. Nothing about using Irish moss would damage the cells that I've ever heard of.

Back