Irish moss and filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryoko

Reaction score
As I just learned some of the more technical parts of the Irish moss process, where it coagulates proteins from the chill part of the brew. Should I be filtering it before going into my primary, or will it simply wind up with the yeast cake. After chilling I pour the brew back and forth between 2 brew buckets to aerate. Just want to be sure I'm not hurting anything and re-releasing the bad stuff into my brew.

What is the recommended way to filter, I would think most things would get gummed up rather quickly.

Thanks

I use a hop sack for my hop additions now, but before I used to pour the wort though a muslin bag or a nylon paint strainers back to remove the hop gunk. That was always a pain and clogged quite often.

I have also just dumped all the trub directly into the frementer and pitched yeast without any problems, in fact it made damn good beer. I sometimes want to go back to doing that because of how good the beer was.

Anyway you slice it the stuff falls out of suspension and ends up in/on the yeast cake.

There is no need to filter Irish moss before it goes to primary, it will end up in a yeast cake. No sweat

If you want to decide to filter the trub or leave it all in the fermentor then look at the research done on the subject. There was a Homebrew blogger that did an experiment and there was a pod cast where they had the listeners do the experiment and they reported back their findings.

Found the link to the blog. http://brulosophy.com/2014/06/02/the-great-trub-exbeeriment-results-are-in/

Dont have the link to the pod cast but the results are similar. What i liked about the pod cast was that the listeners that did the experiment, did it with different styles of beer and some got different results.

No need to filter, but obviously it's not going to hurt, irish moss or not.

I know there are plenty of methods to help filter easily, but since I don't use hop bags, I just use a double mesh strainer like this one. It sets right on top of the bucket, so you can use easily even if brewing by yourself, and catches pretty much all the unwanted particles before adding yeast.

If you want to decide to filter the trub or leave it all in the fermentor then look at the research done on the subject. There was a Homebrew blogger that did an experiment and there was a pod cast where they had the listeners do the experiment and they reported back their findings.

Found the link to the blog. http://brulosophy.com/2014/06/02/the-great-trub-exbeeriment-results-are-in/

Dont have the link to the pod cast but the results are similar. What i liked about the pod cast was that the listeners that did the experiment, did it with different styles of beer and some got different results.

Hah, you beat me to it. I just read that this morning too. Interesting post, and I'd love to know the (basic) science behind his results.

Personally, I don't strain... but I leave the majority of gunk (mostly hops) at the bottom of my kettle when I transfer to my primary, though I def. get some, as I do my best to get as much liquid out as I can.

The Brulosophy experiment really amazed me. I thought the results would be different. I will admit to not having the most sensitive palate, so I may not have been able to tell the difference between the two.
I also use Irish Moss at the 15 minute mark, and get the wort as cool as possible before racking. I use a half round strainer lined with two paint strainers on top of each other. The little stuff gets through, but the large flocks are trapped and become their own filter so to speak. My loss of wort is almost non-existent from the BK, to the primary, and then to the bottling bucket. I hate to waste good beer, and now I really don't.

Thank you everyone for the replies. That link is also quite informative.

Latest posts

Back