Irish Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy24a

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am brewing a red Irish ale this weekend that calls for 2 stage fermentation. At this point I do not have a second vessel to Xfer to. So is there a big issue leaving it it my spike conical the entire time? I will have the cooling coil to keep temps around 65 degrees the whole time. Thoughts?

Your beer is safer in the conical than it would be in a secondary fermenter where there is no fermentation going on. Leave the beer where it is. Your beer needs temperature control as it goes through the fast part of the fermentation, usually 3-4 days. I keep mine cool for a full week before letting it warm to the low 70's.

There are very few instances where it is advantageous to rack to secondary. In fact, racking increases the risk of infection and oxidation. Keep it in your conical, it will be fine until it's ready for packaging.

Back