Ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwil123

Reaction score
Ipa 10 gal batch brewed today

25# 2 row
1# melanoiden
2#c20

First wort 2 oz ahtanum
2 oz Citra @90
1 oz Citra @45
1 oz Citra @20
1 oz Citra @10
3 oz Citra @0
2 oz Citra @0

I'd like to get some people's thoughts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

That's a lot of crystal and melanodin malt, and a lot of bittering hops.

I would have done it a lot differently, adding some corn sugar and deleting much of the melanoidin malt so that it ends up with a lower FG and I would have reduced the bittering hops alot to make a nice quaffable IPA.

I'd probably do something more like this:
22# 2 row
2 pounds corn sugar
1.5 pound crystal 40L (or 20L is ok)
If I really wanted a strong malt presence, .25-.5 pound melanoidin malt could be used, but I'd prefer .5 pound of aromatic malt

1 oz citra FWH (or to 40 IBUs with this addition
1 oz ahtanum 15 minutes
1 oz any other hops but citra 10 minutes
1 oz any other hops but citra 5 minutes
1 oz citra flame out/whirlpool
1 oz other hops flame out/whirlpool
Dryhop 2 ounces (1 oz citra, 1 oz other)

Part of my hops schedule is just due to the fact that I hate all citra beers. They just have a terrible "tropical" flavor I can't stand in huge quantities but I like it ok with cascades, centennial, amarillo, chinook, and ahtanum just fine). I'm not a fan of too many bittering hops (as it's a bit of a "waste" since you can't get anything but bittering from them) and I like more late additions, including whirlpool and flame out additions.

I appreciate you being honest. I love everything about bitter, fruity hops and I had some Citra I wanted to use up

citra to burn? what a lucky position to be in. i'm actually in need of citra.

i disagree with citra at 45 and 90. i would actually add your first addition at 60 and i wouldn't use citra. it's a great aromatic hop but not really good for bittering. some people say there's off flavors. in my case there's just too many great bittering varieties. magnum is so smooth. nugget has a papery dryness good for hopheads and will leave an herbal spice in the finish. chinook and columbus will have remnants of spice and dankness (earthiness) that suits well in beers being smashed with tons of late hop.

nothing wrong with what you're doing but so many ways to make this more interesting. I actually have a tropical DIPA in the works. going southern hemisphere with NZ green bullet for bittering and using a bit late for some herbal spice to break up the fruit. the rest is Summer, Mosaic and Citra late

I wanted to do a All Citra beer or mostly at least. I'm done making ipa's for a while after this batch

I like it. The grain bill is consistent with some of the newest northwest ipas and other then citra at 45 I think it looks great. Or you can follow the zombie dust clone. I recently tried a zd clone by a fellow homebrewer and I just loved it. Tastes very fruity mango citrus like delicious beer juice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Thanks. I think I'm gonna dry hop it with 6oz of Citra per 5 gals

Why not, hop em if ya got em

I didn't even notice that message my bad. Beezer94 u summed it up well. Not getting anything in the airlock but took a sample today, dropped from 1.060 -1.035 brewed Saturday

Finished 1.060 dry hopped it today with Simcoe, Citra and ahtanum

Should smell like your cat ate your weed then pissed on the Christmas tree.

Lol! Yep!

Just had my first pour of this ipa and it's awesome! No cat weed

No cat weed? Awe that's too bad

Should smell like your cat ate your weed then pissed on the Christmas tree.

Pfft! You don't have 4 cats. Believe me, Citra dry hopping will NEVER smell as bad as a pissy cat box. :D

I'm sorry. Did your cat eat your weed and then piss on the Xmas tree? Then you can't possibly know!

Lol! Very true.

Back