IPA yeast stall?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RipC1ty

Reaction score
I brewed an all-grain IPA recipe I brew up every couple of months and used the same yeast i've always used which is dry yeast Safale US-05. I typically bottle after one week and the FG is always around 1.01-1.015. I went to bottle today (8-days of fermentation) and it is at 1.032 using a hydrometer reading. On Christmas I left for about 24-hours and killed the heat. I came home and was about 50-55 degrees in my house. Only possible explanation I could think of is that it stalled out because it got too cold... What are your thoughts and opinions on what to do. My OG was 1.060. Thank you for the help.

I think you've identified your problem.
Move it back to your fermentors, raise the temp to 68°-72° and see if it'll finish.
Did you add priming sugar?
Honestly, I think rushing your beer by assuming it's always ready at 8 days is unwise. I do primary for at least ten days. It gives the yeast time to clean up unwanted by products of fermentation & de-has a bit.
I don't want to start the secondary, no secondary argument but my practice over 6-7 years has been to do a secondary the majority of the time. Particularly, with hoppy beers that usually need dry hopping.

I brewed an all-grain IPA recipe I brew up every couple of months and used the same yeast i've always used which is dry yeast Safale US-05. I typically bottle after one week and the FG is always around 1.01-1.015. I went to bottle today (8-days of fermentation) and it is at 1.032 using a hydrometer reading. On Christmas I left for about 24-hours and killed the heat. I came home and was about 50-55 degrees in my house. Only possible explanation I could think of is that it stalled out because it got too cold... What are your thoughts and opinions on what to do. My OG was 1.060. Thank you for the help.

If your other brews finished OK without (assuming) dropping the temp and this one didn't finish after dropping the temp, there could be a connection. The exponential (most active/high kraussen) phase of fermentation normally takes place within the first 1 - 4 days, but if you had a longer lag time on this brew and you shut down the heat on Christmas (day 5), it could have gone to sleep, which means you prematurely accelerated the stationary (normally post-kraussen) phase when the yeast flocculate and drop out of suspension. As suggested, if this is what has happened, then moving it to a warmer spot, giving it a gentle swirl and letting it go a few days and checking it again should do the trick.

Thanks guys for the speedy replies. I really appreciate all the help.

Back