IPA with 50% Munich

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snarf7

Reaction score
Looking to brew a malty American IPA with 50/50 bill of 2Row/Munich.

I've never tried this much Munich in a recipe so I'm pondering what would work best for the hop additions. I'm thinking it needs a firm bittering backbone...60-70 IBUs but what to finish it with to compliment the maltiness? I'm thinking probably traditional hops might be best, nothing too experimental or with too much fruit to it...maybe Saaz/Hallerttau early on then Cascade or Citra at flameout? Any of you guys tried this before? Would love some input if you have

thanks!:)

I’ve done a red IPA with 50% redX, which I found similar to Munich, and it was great. Go light on the caramel malts and stick with classic (west coast) IPA hops. I did Amarillo and Simcoe and was happy.

I'm a big fan of Cascade in malty beers such as American Amber Ale, which is close to what you would be making here. I'm even considering making such a thing myself with wet hops this September, I grow my own Cascade so it's almost a no-brainer. I intend to add a big load of hops with approximately 10 minutes left in the boil -- this is the old "hop burst" method for those who heard of it 10 years ago -- and will probably follow that up with some dry hopping after the first ~3 days of fermentation. No other hop additions, just those two. Should be yummy. I'd stay away from Citra for this one myself. Gut-feel just tells me Cascade alone is gonna be best for this one. Personal preference perhaps. I do love the idea of blending with some Saaz or Hallertau though, I think that would be lovely. The citrusy Cascade (or Citra) will overpower those hops, so if you want the old nobles to show up in the finished beer, you need to use like a 3:1 or 4;1 ratio, a lot of nobles with just a little bit of citrus.

I've tried a SMASH pale ale with 100% Light Munich and the flavor really is overly cloying. MAYBE 50% won't be too bad but its still on the edge of Marzen territory. I can tell you that 100% Vienna makes a kick ass IPA/Pale Ale base.
What was your mash schedule? You might want to use a hoch kurz schedule for something like 100% Munich. Otherwise... You already know.

Single infusion 149F for 90 minutes. It dried out plenty, but you know that heavy melanoidin thing Munich can do.
Yep, it is a tiny bit intense from time to time. Maybe somethingg like 20 invert / 80 munich mashed via hoch kurz would work. Or maybe adding about 10-20 % chit malt would help with some additional enzymes.

Back