IPA - when to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfraier

Reaction score
I have an IPA that has been in primary for two weeks and the last three readings have been the same. Since Hop aroma can fade over time, should I bottle now, or let it sit for a couple more weeks.

If you aren't going to dryhop and the hydro readings are consistent then I would bottle.:mug:

The general rule of thumb is to leave your light ale in the primary for at least 3 weeks (if your not transferring to a secondary). It may stop fermenting after two weeks but the yeast will continue to do their work and dissipate any off flavors making the beer more clean and crisp tasting.

If the beer is clear, and it's done fermenting, and dryhopping is over, I'd bottle it. I like to go 2-3 weeks for most of my "regular" beers before bottling, if they are clear.

An IPA really should be dryhopped, though, so I usually bottle a week after dryhopping.

I concur that bottled IPAs should almost always be dry-hopped. But as soon as you are done, bottle those suckers and - assuming you had a clean fermentation - drink them early and often.

I have an Australian Pale Ale by Coopers in the primary for the last 7 days, the air lock is still bubbling at a very slow rate and I hope it should be done in the next few days. From my understanding of the above discussion, does it mean it is better to leave it in the primary fermentation carboy for as long as possible to allow the taste to mature or should I start bottling it once the hydro reading is consistent and allow it to mature then?

Everything is cleared and settled.....all readings have been consistant for several days. I had great fermentation and really think is was done after about 10 days.....at least the readinngs have been stable for that long.

This kit did not come with instructions for dry hopping, but I will adjust that the next batch.

Is IPA a style that you typically bottle sooner than later and drink right after conditioning?

I have an Australian Pale Ale by Coopers in the primary for the last 7 days, the air lock is still bubbling at a very slow rate and I hope it should be done in the next few days. From my understanding of the above discussion, does it mean it is better to leave it in the primary fermentation carboy for as long as possible to allow the taste to mature or should I start bottling it once the hydro reading is consistent and allow it to mature then?

I don't bottle until the beer is clear, as I hate excess sediment in my bottles. That can be in as little as one to weeks, but I would never bottle a beer less than two weeks old. It depends on the recipe (including yeast strain), but bottling at two-three weeks is generally fine.

Everything is cleared and settled.....all readings have been consistant for several days. I had great fermentation and really think is was done after about 10 days.....at least the readinngs have been stable for that long.

This kit did not come with instructions for dry hopping, but I will adjust that the next batch.

Is IPA a style that you typically bottle sooner than later and drink right after conditioning?

Yes, IPAs tend to be better fresh. Hop aroma fades while the bitterness does not.

Thanks for the reply and applogies mfraier for hijacking your post.

I don't bottle until the beer is clear, as I hate excess sediment in my bottles. That can be in as little as one to weeks, but I would never bottle a beer less than two weeks old. It depends on the recipe (including yeast strain), but bottling at two-three weeks is generally fine.

Yes, IPAs tend to be better fresh. Hop aroma fades while the bitterness does not.

I had my IPA in primary for a week, gravity was spot on so I racked to secondary. I was planning to do 2 weeks in secondary, and then bottling. How long should I condition for?

Back