IPA stooped fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bbbeldums1

Reaction score
I a brewers best IPA extract kit last Friday. A day and a half later (Sunday I started seeing bubbles/ signs of fermentation. Last night I noticed that there is no more action in my air lock. Did something go wrong? It also has a rotten egg smell in the airlock. The room is about 67-70 degrees.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Home Brew mobile app

Terrible odors during fermentation is not a big worry. Some yeasts just do that. Primary time of at least two and up to three weeks will give the yeast time to clean up these off flavors after fermentation is complete.

You are fermenting with a bucket? The seals on bucket lids are not perfect. The CO2 production has slowed so there is less pressure. The CO2 is probably escaping at the rim rather than being forced through the airlock.

High fermentation temperatures will produce more off flavors than low fermentation temperatures. Yeast produces heat as it ferments. If your ambient temperature is up to 70° the wort temperature can be 3° to 10° higher depending upon OG. Higher OG, more fermentables, greater temperature increase. Having the wort temperature in the low to mid 60° range is usually best for most ale yeasts.
The critical time is in the first few days of active fermentation. When fermentation slows the wort can be allowed to rise to ambient temperature. This will aid the yeast in clean up.

Fermentation may be complete. The only way to know is with hydrometer readings. Take a reading now and another in two days. If they are the same Final Gravity has been reached. If you are not sure of the readings wait two days and take another.

When FG is reached, give the yeast time to clean up and you are ready to bottle.

Terrible odors during fermentation is not a big worry. Some yeasts just do that. Primary time of at least two and up to three weeks will give the yeast time to clean up these off flavors after fermentation is complete.

You are fermenting with a bucket? The seals on bucket lids are not perfect. The CO2 production has slowed so there is less pressure. The CO2 is probably escaping at the rim rather than being forced through the airlock.

High fermentation temperatures will produce more off flavors than low fermentation temperatures. Yeast produces heat as it ferments. If your ambient temperature is up to 70° the wort temperature can be 3° to 10° higher depending upon OG. Higher OG, more fermentables, greater temperature increase. Having the wort temperature in the low to mid 60° range is usually best for most ale yeasts.
The critical time is in the first few days of active fermentation. When fermentation slows the wort can be allowed to rise to ambient temperature. This will aid the yeast in clean up.

Fermentation may be complete. The only way to know is with hydrometer readings. Take a reading now and another in two days. If they are the same Final Gravity has been reached. If you are not sure of the readings wait two days and take another.

When FG is reached, give the yeast time to clean up and you are ready to bottle.

This pretty much says it.

I have had airlocks bubble for 2 days and I've had them bubble for 9 days. You had it bubble, so it did ferment. and you got a solid 4 days of bubbling out of it. That's probably average for most of my beers. So this is definitely a Relax, have a homebrew moment. Let it sit until at least Sunday, before you start opening any lids or anything. I guarantee you, it's fine. But the yeast probably still are at work in there and the more time you give it, the more they will settle out and leave you a clearer beer.

Back