IPA Recipe - criticisms?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my second attempt at writing a recipe. what do you make of it? What about the hop usage?

Thanks guys I appreciate the help.

7 lbs. - Light DME
1/2 lb - US Caramel 40L Malt 0.50 lb 6.3 % 3.8 In Mash/Steeped
1/2 lb - Victory Malt 0.50 lb 6.3 % 2.6 In Mash/Steeped

Hops:
1 oz - Columbus 12.2 % 60 Min From End
1 oz - EK Golding 4.8 % 20 Min From End
1 oz - EK Golding 4.8 % 10 Min From End
1 oz - Amarillo 8.9 % 5 Min From End
1 oz - Amarillo 8.9 % Dry-Hopped

Yeast:
White Labs WLP051-California Ale V

I don't think that the Golding's will work all that well with your Amarillo hops. I think they will be overpowered. If it was mine I would just use the Amarillo for the aroma and flavor hops.

I don't think that the Golding's will work all that well with your Amarillo hops

Yea....save your EKG's for a English IPA and replace them with a good american hop like Centennial or simcoe.

I'd sub simcoe, centennial, cascades, ... for the EKGs but it will be good. See the recipe in my dropdown, it's pretty close to what you're doing but I do all grain with maris otter so mine is a little more biscuity than yours will be (appropriate if you are going for the IPA style vs a more balanced pale ale).

- Eric

Malts look good, but I'd use Centennial instead of the Columbus, and Cascade for the EKGs. Centennial would go better with the Amarillo since Columbus is more on the spicy side of things. EKGs are too soft and floral for an American IPA in my opinion.

Back