IPA Recipe Assistance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shizog4

Reaction score
Hey all,

I ordered a good amount of ingredients for a recipe or two, and I seem to have lost me written recipe. Would anybody be able to assist me with a decent IPA. I like citrusy, earthy IPAs. I have done mostly partial mash.

Ingredients on hand:

Rahr 2-row 4 lbs x 2
Briess 40L 12oz
Victory 8oz
X-Pale extract 5 lbs

Amarillo x 6oz
Warrior x 8oz
Cascade x 6oz
Citra x 6oz

Safale s-04 x 2

Also lactose, not sure it can be used in an IPA. I don't have a lot of experience with creating recipes or I would try it again. Thanks for your help.

You could do an all grain brew in a bag (biab) if you have the bag and a good sized pot.

8lbs- 2 row
Mash @ 148 degrees for 60 minutes
70 IBU's of warrior - First wort hop @ 90 min (use a brew calculator to determine amount for 70 ibu's)
2 oz Amarillo - Whirlpool- 0 min @ 180 degrees for 20 minutes or so
2 oz citra- Whirlpool- 0 min @ 180 degrees for 20 minutes or so
2 oz cascade- Whirlpool- 0 min @ 180 degrees for 20 minutes or so
1 oz Amarillo- Dry hop
2 oz citra- Dry hop
1 oz cascade- Dry hop

sa04

Plug that into a free recipe calculator somewhere and see what the OG will be for a 5 gallon batch. It might be better as a 4 gallon batch. You could add in a few oz's your crystal 40 for some color but you don't need it. If you want to do 5 gallons and need to boost the gravity use some extract. Most, if not all, of the Stone Enjoy By beers are all base malt and a ton of hops. I've also stopped wasting my specialty grains on resiny IPA's and have just started using 100% base malt. The results are pretty good if you do the hop additions right and are very liberal with the amount of hops you use.

With the low mash temp you'll get a pretty dry beer so the hops can shine through a lot. If you want it a little more malty you could mash at 150 or even 152 degrees. The sa04 doesn't finish as dry as the sa05 so you might want to stick with the 148 degree mash or dry it out with honey or sugar depending how dry you want the beer to be.

The lactose and victory I wouldn't put in an IPA.

Good luck!

I did 4# 2-row
12 oz victory (don't know why)
5# extra pale extract

Mashed mostly around 152-154 then JT started to fall so I upped the flame and it didn't move. I swirled the grains and it **** up to high 160's so I cut the mash short by about 5-10 min.

2oz warrior at 60
1oz each Amarillo/cascade/citra at 10 and the other oz at flameout

I plan to dry hop with citra and Amarillo

Any thoughts on how this will turn out? Yeast start fermentin when I woke up, or prior within 6-8 hours of pitching

What size batch did you do? Did you take a gravity reading?

I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm sure you'll find a way to choke it down in any case :tank:

If it were me I would have put an oz in at 10 min then the other 3 oz's at flame out. You get more of a resiny, chewy, hop flavor that way. I'm sure it'll be a good beer though. Enjoy the beer!

I did a 5 gallon batch. I did the 3 ozs at 10 minutes then the other 3 within a few seconds of flameout

And no I did not take a gravity reading. I know it's a crucial part of brewing, but I stopped a few batches ago.

i hear that. I like to take sg samples so I can figure my efficiency and to see how much abv I've made. I guess I could tell by having a few but I'd rather know I'm drinking an 8% beer or if it's 4%. I need to know what kind of night I'm going to have! :drunk:

Lol yea I need to start doing them again. My main focus is getting back into brewing. I think with kegging I will brew more since it's time saved and quicker to drink beer!!

Back