IPA Hop Selections

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin0782

Reaction score
I'm trying to come up with an IPA hop schedule that is different from what I've done in the past. I've used Cascade, Citra, Simcoe, Amarillo, and Centennial before. What are some of your favorite other, less obvious hop combinations for an IPA and what flavors do they give? I have read about Warrior and Summit, and of course Columbus, but unsure of how best to use those. I wanted to use some Rakau or Galaxy but they seem hard to find. Thanks for any advice.

I did a Chinook and falconers flight that was pretty good. Also did a warrior and summit that turned out good if you like grapefruit.

I love Summit hops, you could make an awesome IPA using only them, I have a recipe that uses Amarillo and Calypso hops together that I like a lot, and El Dorado hops are excellent, but unavailable right now. Citra and Columbus are good together. Chinook is great, Ahtanum, Sterling, Cluster, Nugget, all work well in IPAs IMO.

Nelson Sauvin and Horizon are good ones. I believe Widmer's Alchemy bittering hops are a blend of Warrior and Horizon. Nelson is a good and potent flavor hop...think Drifter. Willamette is a decent finishing hop as well, a little woody/earthy and floral.

Well, you said less than obvious and this isn't that, but I really like using noble hops, especially Fuggles or Goldings. I like to use them as the only hop in a pale or IPA, so you have to use a lot.

Another interesting hop might be French Strisselspalt, if you can find it. An aroma hop similar to Hersbrucker, it usually has a low AA, so again you need a lot of it.

I don't have much experience with the noble hops, but I tend to dislike English beers. If I used an American yeast like US-05 would the beer still have an English flavor or is it more the yeast that gives that character than the hops?

Aside from the more well-known combos, I've done a couple with Columbus/Centennial....awesome combo. Chinook/Simcoe is also really good.

I don't have much experience with the noble hops, but I tend to dislike English beers. If I used an American yeast like US-05 would the beer still have an English flavor or is it more the yeast that gives that character than the hops?

It's a combination. But if you don't like English ales, such as Bass, then you probably want stay with American hops, especially those that have grassy, citrus, grapefruit type aromas.

Well, to me there is a very big difference between English hops and Noble hops. I usually dislike English pales/IPAs, or any beer with heavy English hopping...they have a tendency to me to taste soapy and overly earthy. Classic examples are EKG and Fuggles.

Noble hops on the other hand are more frequently seen in German/Czech style lagers, as well as Belgian ales. To me they are more grassy and lemony with a touch of the citrus we love from our American hops. When I think Noble I think Saaz, Hallertauer, Tettnanger. These hops can make a very different, but very good IPA when either used in very large doses or in combination with a small amount of American hops. Just be mindful to do a 2-3/1 ratio in favor of the nobles...they can be overpowered pretty easily.

Sam Adams made an Imperial Hallertauer pilsner a while back that had some sort of stupidly high amount of Hallertauer...like 1.5lb per 5 gal or something. It tasted AWESOME, and showed that nobles in high dosage can keep up with any American C hop.

Be careful when dryhopping with Noble hops. I have found that heavyhanded dryhopping, or dryhopping for extended times can create overly grassy flavors that take a while to fade off.

Good luck!

Cascade/columbus. My favorite IPA yet was a combo of those for all 4 additions, though I really want to try out sorachi.

Colombus, Sorachi Ace, Summit, Glacier, Northern Brewer, Perle, and Ahtanum are some that I've used that I think would do well in an IPA. Colombus/Mt. Hood made a banger of an IPA for me.

I used summit with cascade and liberty that I liked. Also made an ale with all warrior, came out great. Have had luck with perle lately too, nice and piney.

I have only planed this one myself but Simcoe, Sorachi Ace and Chinook. The combo should be like beer pine sol lol which sounds appealing to me.

I have an IPA recipe I've been tinkering with that has New Zealand hops.
Super Alpha and Pacific Gem.
Crazy high alpha without being up front bitter. The Pacific Gem has some real nice blackberry notes to it.

Jw

These sound like some great ideas. I've ordered a bunch of Centennial and Columbus for my next beer. Never used Columbus before, but it sounds great, high alpha and it was cheap! I will have plenty left over of each, but I am definitely going to try out some of the other hops mentioned in this thread after this next batch. Warrior/Summit sounds good, but so do many others. I wish I could brew an IPA once a week.

I have a bunch of non stream line hops. I just used german hal/opal in a witbier.

Just some comments to some of the previous suggestions and spome of my own.

Ahtanum - This is my #1 reccomendation for trying something new. I made a pale ale with this one and was very happy with the results.
French Strisselspalt - used this on a saison, I liked it for sure, not sure how it would translate for an IPA though. Could be worth the experiment.
Sorachi ace - Lemon yo! Good stuff.
Pacific Gem - Tried this one, not sure I like it, too many competing flavors.
Falconers - Like citra but toned down.
Citra - Fun hop but might overpower at an IPA level. Would be fun to have on tap but it would be unlike any IPa you ever had, both good and bad.
Admiral - Bittering hop option
Horizon - Magnum substitute with more character.
Bramling cross - More for an english IPA or ESB if you ask me, good hop though.
NZ Motueka - Got this one havent tried it yet.
NZ Rawaka - Got this one havent tried it yet.

Latest posts

Back