IPA/Hop Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aljeffryes

Reaction score
First off I would like to say thanks to any person who has posted, I have used this website as a valuble tool in my rookie homebrewing experiance. But here is my question...
I have a few batches under my belt and I am getting ready to start a batch that I made up...
I am making an IPA and am concerned that I might not have bought enough hops in regards to the fermentable sugars. I am using about 8.3 lbs of malt extract, one lb of crystal malt, and a half pound of victory malt. I am using 2 ounces of magnum hops for boiling and some cascade to finish, can anyone tell me their opinion? I just dont want my beer to have not enough hops and have an overwhelming alcohol taste. Thanks!

First off I would like to say thanks to any person who has posted, I have used this website as a valuble tool in my rookie homebrewing experiance. But here is my question...
I have a few batches under my belt and I am getting ready to start a batch that I made up...
I am making an IPA and am concerned that I might not have bought enough hops in regards to the fermentable sugars. I am using about 8.3 lbs of malt extract, one lb of crystal malt, and a half pound of victory malt. I am using 2 ounces of magnum hops for boiling and some cascade to finish, can anyone tell me their opinion? I just dont want my beer to have not enough hops and have an overwhelming alcohol taste. Thanks!

Recipe would help. AA% of the hops, and more info than "some cascade."

Yes, it will depend on the AA% and how long you boil them. Further, if you boil all the extract for the full boil, or only add most at the end of boil. However, knowing Magnum hops are usually around 13%, if you boiled them in low gravity wort for at least 60 minutes, you will get around 40-45 IBUs, which is a decent amount. Not crazy like some IPAs, since your starting gravity will probably be quite high. But certainly in style.

Yeah, some more detailed info would help.

Magnum is primarily only used for bittering additions (60 minutes) 2 oz will give you a very bitter beer. That's ok if that's what you are going for...

Yeah, some more detailed info would help.

Magnum is primarily only used for bittering additions (60 minutes) 2 oz will give you a very bitter beer. That's ok if that's what you are going for...

I agree- two ounces of magnum is too much!

How about this:

8.3 pounds extract (liquid or dry?- this matters! I guessed liquid for the recipe)
1 pound crystal malt
.5 pound victory malt

1.25 oz Magnum [13.40 %] (60 min) Hops
1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (15 min) Hops
1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops
1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)-

He seems to have a lot of extract...I would think you'd need 2oz to balance it out.

For a 5 gallon batch, his recipe should get an OG around 1.078.
2oz of 13% magnum gives just shy of 100 IBUs
the later addition cascades won't add a whole lot of bitterness, but overall you're still gonna be around 110+ IBUs. This would be too bitter for my tastes, but it might be good for some.

yooper's suggested hop schedule yields about 72 IBUs... which is about perfect in my book.

1.25 oz Magnum [13.40 %] (60 min) Hops
1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (15 min) Hops
1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops
1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)-

+1, but I'd throw that 0.75oz of leftover magnum into the dry hop as well

Thanks for all of your help. Here it is...
5lbs Light liquid malt exract
3.3lbs amber malt extract
2oz magnum hops (supply store tag says AA% is 17)
1oz cacade hops
*I was debating adding some lemon zest, any thoughts on this?

I was going to make a "mini mash" on the stove with grains. 150-160 deg for 30 min
Add malt extract/Magnum hops. Boil for 60 min.
Add lemon zest at 5 min (If i decide to)
Add cascade hops at final 1 min.
Planned on a 2 gallon boil and a 5 gallon batch.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate the input from everyone!

So you like super hoppy beers? Because that's going to be really, really bitter if you use all the Magnum for bittering. Has anyone used Magnum as a late addition? Even with that high of a gravity, I would use 1 (or 1.25 as suggested by Yooper) for bittering. More flavor and aroma hops would be good (almost required) for an American IPA.

1 agree that only 1 oz of high AA hop for bittering would do but i think the 2 oz would work since its a small boil. With just 1 oz of late hop additions this is going to be low on hop flavor and aroma and not be very India at all. The numbers may match style but the flavor will not. Follow yoppers hopping rates and that will work.

Unless you're going to get more hops, I may bite the bullet on this and just call it an APA instead of an IPA. its not gunna have the flavor/aroma of an IPA and it has too much crystal for one IMO. If you only have the 3oz of hops, I'd go with something like this:
1oz Magnum @60
0.5oz Cascade,Magnum @5
0.5oz Cascade,Magnum @dry hop

if you late add the light extract it'll give you around 50IBUs and lets you get more of the flavor/aroma you need to be an IPA. the hop schedule will give you like a lesser SN Torpedo

Back