IPA Hop Bill Suggestions w/o Simcoe or Citra

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbbransc

Reaction score
I have a freezer full of hops but I'm running low on Simcoe and Citra. I'd like to start using up some of my other variants before the harvest at the end of summer. I have a ton of good hops but I'm having trouble finding appealing recipes that don't call for simcoe or citra. Below is a list of what I have.

My typical IPAs are between 5.75-7.5 ABV. 90-95% 2-row with 5-10% wheat. Love the dank and tropical juiciness.

Amarillo
Apollo
Cascade
Centennial
Chinook
CTZ
Galaxy
Mosaic
Nelson Sauvin
Pacific Jade
Warrior

Or if anyone can offer up suggestions for a Simcoe substitute that will work, I'd be really interested in that. I was considering using a 50:50 blend of chinook and amarillo.

I brewed an ipa with Amarillo, Galaxy and Mosaic that turned out amazing!

galaxy- 60 min
galaxy- 20min
and i made a mix of amarillo and the mosaic for 15,5, whirlpool. dry hopped for 5 days with the mix.

galaxy- 60 min
galaxy- 20min
and i made a mix of amarillo and the mosaic for 15,5, whirlpool. dry hopped for 5 days with the mix.

You have a freezer full of awesome hops. You don't need Simcoe or Citra to brew an awesome IPA.

That said, if you are looking for dank and tropical at the same time, I personally would use:

CTZ, Centennial, Mosaic, Apollo, and Cascade.

I would bitter with CTZ or Apollo, then bomb it with late hop additions of all of the above.

You have a freezer full of awesome hops. You don't need Simcoe or Citra to brew an awesome IPA.

That said, if you are looking for dank and tropical at the same time, I personally would use:

CTZ, Centennial, Mosaic, Apollo, and Cascade.

I would bitter with CTZ or Apollo, then bomb it with late hop additions of all of the above.

Man that sounds good. Heaps of those hops as late additions would be awesome.

Cascade at 60 and 30, amarillo at 15 and flameout, dry hop Nelson Sauvin. Maybe some Moravian Ginger Cookies in secondary.

Kidding on the cookies.

Back