IPA Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryanooo

Reaction score
Ok so I've never really drank an IPA that i liked therefore be never made one. Something about the over bitterness just turns me off, i geuss its just the beer snob in me. But I figured since today is IPA day I would give it a whirl. So I'm looking for some input as to what the keys are to making a good "balanced" IPA.
Thanks and happy IPA day

Maybe try a few hop forward pale ales until you catch the bug. Once you've got it, it's like chasing the dragon.

I would say later additions of your hops. Get your bitterness up there to just touch the lower end of the style, then do the rest of your additions 15 minutes to flamout. That way you are getting the aroma and flavor without the addition of more bitterness. Depending on how strict you are with style guidelines you could even come in a little low on the bittering and then just bump up the flamout and dry hops a little bit.

I'm sure others will probably have better suggestions, since I've only been brewing a year, but that would be my first plan of attack if I were trying to do what you are.

if you don't like the high bitterness try making a hop bursted one, i.e. just hops the final 30mins (preferably final 15mins). it'll be a softer bitterness and you'll get plenty of hop flavor/aroma

Back