IPA has been bottled for a week...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prolly need at least one more week. Better carbonated next week than flat today.

Double-R said:
Try one.... Wont hurt,Especially if it your 1st brew

This guy knows where you're coming from. In fact, sample one a day over the next week. It's important to both enjoy your brew but to also understand what carbonation levels do to a beer.

I think it's a waste of beer. "Understanding how carbonation develops" is really un important, it's gonna be flat, it's gonna be slightly carbed, or it's going to be carbed. There's nothing to learn about. Who really cares about the other stages, it's only when it's finished does it matter.

I know all the noobs have great rationalization for their impatience, but to me that just mean less beer to enjoy when it's REALLY ready.

You want to learn about how carbonation develops, watch the time-lapsed carbonation video, rather than wasting a beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is my first brew, so the excitement is there. I am also leaving town for two weeks this friday, so I'll know I'll have a carbonated batch when I get back. I also understand that this beer won't be carbonated, but what things should I be looking for in taste as I open this one prematurely?

I would open one. I've had lots of beers carbed at one week, especially wheat beers. They aren't where they need to be, and you would be a fool to start drinking them up, but I wouldn't call it a waste of beer. Now if it's flat, and you don't like it and pour it THAT'S a waste of beer. You have to drink it no matter what it tastes like if you open one.

Thanks for the video Revvy. I have decided not to open one and let it be a nice big surprise when I get home to have carbed and ready to drink IPA...just in time for 4th of July :drunk:

I usually start drinking my IPAs after a week. They are usually carbed after 3-4 days. Now everyone is going to say don't do it to me, wait weeks! But the truth IMO is if it tastes good, drink it. Now like a stout, I let sit a while. I enjoy drinking my beer, and if I like the taste I drink it. I'm not trying to impress anyone or win any competitions. I brew because I enjoy the process of making it, I love drinking it, and I like to ave beer that is way cheaper than the store. Why wait when it's great now? So it might be a little better in 2 more weeks? Now if my fridge is full, they sit in the closet till I have more room.
I opened a oat stout yesterday that is a week in the bottle. It could use more carbination, so I will let it sit another week. Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy every last drop. Was a little flat, but sooooo delicious. Mabe I have a bad palate, but whatever, tastes goooooood.

Now argue away, but this is what I do. Might not be best for everyone, or even most people, but like I said, if you are holding the glass over your head to get that last drop it tastes so good, then why not drink it?

Open one now, then another in a week or maybe even just a couple days, and so on. Even if they aren't ready it will give you a greater appreciation for bottle conditioning and how flavors can improve with time.

I know this is thread resurrection here, but I agree. I have almost never had a beer not be carbed in a weeks' worth of time. I had a Dark Strong never carb at all, and that's about it. Everyone's experiences are different and therefore everyone should do what works best for them. I've been kegging for a while now, but I'm really thinking of bottle conditioning a batch again and seeing what happens now 'cause I never had to experience that 3 weeks at 70 degree stuff.

I know this is thread resurrection here, but I agree. I have almost never had a beer not be carbed in a weeks' worth of time. I had a Dark Strong never carb at all, and that's about it. Everyone's experiences are different and therefore everyone should do what works best for them. I've been kegging for a while now, but I'm really thinking of bottle conditioning a batch again and seeing what happens now 'cause I never had to experience that 3 weeks at 70 degree stuff.

Me too. I did have one batch that took nearly three weeks to carb up in the bottle, but it was the winter time and my house is about 62 degrees, so I assume that's why it took longer.

I've had beers carbed up nicely in 5 days when temperatures were warmer.

I like my IPAs fresh (and most other beers, too, actually). Aging a beer only makes it older, and not usually better except for beers with complex flavors.

Latest posts

Back