IPA Grains Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickbones14

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Working on a new IPA extract recipe and was hoping to get some advice/suggestions. I have had some success with using crystal malts 20, 40, 60 but want to branch out and try something new. Looking for a crisp, clean taste with real yellow color. Trying to avoid the malty, caramel flavor.

What have you guys used or seen used with success?

Thanks!

Hey Guys,

Working on a new IPA extract recipe and was hoping to get some advice/suggestions. I have had some success with using crystal malts 20, 40, 60 but want to branch out and try something new. Looking for a crisp, clean taste with real yellow color. Trying to avoid the malty, caramel flavor.

What have you guys used or seen used with success?

Thanks!

Can you do a partial mash, or is this steeping grains only in a small quantity? If you can steep, say, 3 pounds of grain, then you have a lot of options by making it a partial malt. Otherwise, you're pretty much stuck with crystal malt, black malts, and other grains that don't require mashing.

If you can do a partial mash, Vienna malt is awesome to give some really great flavor and I like a bit of victory malt (.5 pound at a max in a 5 gallon batch) in my IPA grainbills.

We need to know if you are partial mashing or just all extract.

If PM, I always liked to use victory, maris otter, or white wheat to give it a subtle edge without being too caramely or anything.

If extract, I used to use (for about 20 brews) caramel 20 and carapils to contribute some freshness to the possibility of staleness or extract twang, and not much flavor.

Usually a steep for about quarter lb of each of the two just mentioned.

Adn always use extra light dry extract and build from there for ipas with extract.

And of course add most at the last 10 minutes of the boil to avoid caramelization of the extract.

Thanks guys!

I'm still relatively new to homebrew so right now I'm 100% extract with just steeping grains. Can I steep 2 row or victory?

Thanks guys!

I'm still relatively new to homebrew so right now I'm 100% extract with just steeping grains. Can I steep 2 row or victory?

No, but if you "steep" at 150 degrees in 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain, and hold it for 45 minutes, that is a mash.

It is relatively simple and will help you understand the all grain process better for if you do decide to switch.

Wow! Very interesting... So after my "mini" mash the next step would be...

Add water making it X gallons and then follow same steps as an extract recipe ie. add lme/dme and hops?

Correct, just make sure you are using a brewing software to accurately hit your targets, and make sure not to add all the extract at the beginning.

Partial mash will quickly get you to see just how easy the transition to all grain can be. :)

Not sure what's all in been said but I have a lot of luck with not using crystal malts in my IPA's. I don't know why people think it's some sort of defacto standard to have caramel flavors in an IPA.

if you really want to add something extra try steeping oats. It will add body and make beer hazey but it has a mild sweetness that compliments things without tasting like caramel or something.

Back