IPA Grain Bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elgee

Reaction score
I am planning on making an IPA and thought I would try something different and would like to get everyone's opinion on if this will work out or not. I am planning on using 6 pounds of 2 row, 5 ounces of Munich malt, 5 ounces of crystal 60, and 5 ounces of victory malt. Is this too much Caramell, Munich and victory in comparison to the base malt of the 2 row? I have plenty of hops to compliment with 50 ibu's and dry hopping, this is more on the grain bill and if I have too many secondary malts as it equates to just under 1 lb. I read that they should not be more than 10% total?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

As a follow-up to my question, the reason that I have the three different secondary Malts is because I'm looking to give this beer a little bit more of a malty backbone then I'm used to having (similar to he mealtimes hat dogfish 90 achieves), as most of my IPAs are a pretty basic green bill with just 2 row and maybe Crystal 80, 60, or 40 along with carapils with very little malt flavor.

This comes down to personal taste more than anything else. Personally in an IPA, I prefer a more neutral grain bill to let the hops shine. I'm happy with 2-row, medium crystal (3-4%) and carapils (3-4%). Sometimes I add wheat. Sometimes a little rye. Sometimes no crystal malt at all.

In APA's (where I want more balance between the hops and malt) I've experimented several times with adding Munich. Turned out to be too much for me. In my latest experiment, I used 20% Maris Otter instead. That hit the right notes for me and will likely become my SOP for APA's.

Given your plan, I would urge caution if you were proposing something like 15% crystal malt. I don't think there's any harm in going with your plan. You'll learn something. If it doesn't sing the right notes for you, tweak it next time.

That's a pretty small grain bill for an IPA. Are you making a small batch or a session IPA?

That looks perfect for what you are trying to achieve, a nice backbone of malt. I've done many simple grain bills for IPAs that have turned out fantastic, and many complex one. Doing Marris Otter tonight, just some flaked wheat and rice hulls, almost a single malt.

Yup, go for it. It should be good, that grain bill isn't extreme malty for an IPA.

Latest posts

Back