IPA Glassware

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I bought these cups a few months ago. SWMBO and I did several side by side comparisons with a standard pint glass and found that the pint glass typically game a much better aroma punch and flavor. Anyone else notice this?

One fella claimed he felt he gets amazing aroma contributions when using snifters/tulips so I think I’ll try the other glass pictured next time.

The glass on the left is the "same" as the IPA-glasses made by Spiegelau.

AFAIK those glasses were actually wine-glasses which failed miserably, but they managed to rename them to "IPA-glass", so if what I've read is correct its just a failed wineglass which they still wanted to sell, but found another market for them.

I read a test a few years back where they did not do good, no wonder if you look at how they are shaped. And I despise them as IPA-glasses. For me at least they are just a gimmick to try to save a failure. IF the wine-thing is correct.

I'd rather use the one on the right.

Last edited:
Never tried the "IPA glasses" like the one on left. But I've never been disappointed by drinking any beer from a tulip glass. It seems to bring the aroma up to the nose.

Last edited:
I lean toward the Sam Adams "Perfect Pint" glass for anything aromatic. It's the only glass I know of that was designed specifically for the purposes of maximizing the sensory enjoyment of beer (the result of a nearly 2-year study).
And it does a good job.
And works with pretty much any style.

The glass on the left is the "same" as the IPA-glasses made by Spiegelau.

AFAIK those glasses were actually wine-glasses which failed miserably, but they managed to rename them to "IPA-glass", so if what I've read is correct its just a failed wineglass which they still wanted to sell, but found another market for them.

I read a test a few years back where they did not do good, no wonder if you look at how they are shaped. And I despise them as IPA-glasses. For me at least they are just a gimmick to try to save a failure. IF the wine-thing is correct.

I'd rather use the one on the right.

Interesting on that that story on these glasses. I'd read that the originators were developed by Spiegelau with Dogfish Head, basically on a similar plan as Sam Adams - to maximize aromas and by extension flavors, through gentle warming through the thin glass near the base, and the narrow diameter there.

Interesting on that that story on these glasses. I'd read that the originators were developed by Spiegelau with Dogfish Head, basically on a similar plan as Sam Adams - to maximize aromas and by extension flavors, through gentle warming through the thin glass near the base, and the narrow diameter there.
I know this is the case with the SA glasses, but it's thicker glass at the narrower bottom to prevent your have warming it.

I lean toward the Sam Adams "Perfect Pint" glass for anything aromatic. It's the only glass I know of that was designed specifically for the purposes of maximizing the sensory enjoyment of beer (the result of a nearly 2-year study).
And it does a good job.
And works with pretty much any style.
PLus, if you go on the SA Brewery tour, and then go to Doyle's for a drink, you get to keep a perfect pint glass.
I have a bunch...

The glass on the left looks similar to the one Kimmich uses on his release videos. I figure if it's good enough for him, who am I to argue? But then again, he wants me to drink from the can! WTH does he know???

Woah man tell that to all the hot pics of juicy bright NEEPA's in secksy Tekus filling up my feed on the 'gram.

I have given away so many free Tekus from beer release events I can't count. Just a hideous look and fragile as hell. No. Thank. You.

Give me a tulip for really aromatic beers and a snifter for big stouts and I'm all set. I do like those ultimate pints linked above too. They're really a stackable tulip and are what I'll put in my bar when I build it.

I have given away so many free Tekus from beer release events I can't count. Just a hideous look and fragile as hell. No. Thank. You.

Give me a tulip for really aromatic beers and a snifter for big stouts and I'm all set. I do like those ultimate pints linked above too. They're really a stackable tulip and are what I'll put in my bar when I build it.

Yeah I like the linked ones as well for the same reasons and find they work with a bunch of styles pretty well. I'm just joshing you, I only teku for sours usually. I always get a little sarcastic in these "whats the best X in your opinion?" threads just to spice up my Friday.

But I mean come on man, designed by Italians, made by Germans? How can they not be the sexiest glasses ever?

The glass on the left looks similar to the one Kimmich uses on his release videos. I figure if it's good enough for him, who am I to argue? But then again, he wants me to drink from the can! WTH does he know???
I have that exact alchemist glass. We picked it up when they released scadoosh #6

Yeah I like the linked ones as well for the same reasons and find they work with a bunch of styles pretty well. I'm just joshing you, I only teku for sours usually. I always get a little sarcastic in these "whats the best X in your opinion?" threads just to spice up my Friday.

But I mean come on man, designed by Italians, made by Germans? How can they not be the sexiest glasses ever?

Designed by Italians? Certainly not the same ones designing their super cars. Now those are sexy. Shrug, many people love 'em. I find them so ugly I'll specifically request a different glass if a place I go to uses them. I have a good friend who owns a wood fired pizza place that always has an outstanding tap list but he uses Tekus. When I'm there, he gives me a different glass, but it took me awhile to train him.

I have that exact alchemist glass. We picked it up when they released scadoosh #6
I wanted to get a set last time we were there. Couldn't justify the cost. So I bought another case instead. Lol. I have my priorities. Jeez, after letting that Crusher sit for two weeks, I wish I would have bought more. That stuff is seriously addictive.

I wanted to get a set last time we were there. Couldn't justify the cost. So I bought another case instead. Lol. I have my priorities. Jeez, after letting that Crusher sit for two weeks, I wish I would have bought more. That stuff is seriously addictive.
Skadoosh and Alena are my favorite offerings from them. If I’m not mistaking the #5 was summit and citra. The combo of herbaceous almost Sagey dankness from the summit and bright citrus and tropical fruit from the citra really brought such wonderful complexity

I'm pretty finicky about my beer glasses. I don't like pint glasses. Tulips are OK but I avoid anything with a stem because they just aren't easy to hold for me, seem a little tippy, and frankly look snobby for beer.

I also typically avoid logo'd glasses, but I bought the following recently and I like them. Check them out. Made in USA :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0748KW4JD/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

upload_2019-2-22_9-27-49.png

I also typically avoid logo'd glasses, but I bought the following recently and I like them. Check them out. Made in USA :)

Yeah these are the one's linked earlier but in the smaller size.

Be aware, for anyone wanting to order these, if you want to pour a 16oz glass and allow for headspace order the top link below. If you want to pour 12oz bottles/cans and allow space for the head order the bottom link. I made the mistake at first of ordering the pint glass one's but they are 16oz when filled all the way to the brim, no room for head. So I sent them back and ordered the 20oz one's which are 20oz to the brim and allow for head on an actual pint pour. There's only $1 difference in price between the two sets.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BMKNMMJ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0748KW4JD/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Rev.

Proper glassware is a good thing but glassware manufacturers take advantage, in my opinion. Shaker pints are boring despite being functional, and may not allow for the full spectrum of aromas. There are plenty of glass designs that provide better aroma, but the main purpose is primarily aesthetic, in my opinion. I don't think there is well-established sensory science on the matter, though I make that claim out of my ass. Overall, I think tulip glasses are best for better aroma as well as being aesthetically pleasing, all-purpose glassware.

Proper glassware is a good thing but glassware manufacturers take advantage, in my opinion. Shaker pints are boring despite being functional, and may not allow for the full spectrum of aromas. There are plenty of glass designs that provide better aroma, but the main purpose is primarily aesthetic, in my opinion. I don't think there is well-established sensory science on the matter, though I make that claim out of my ass. Overall, I think tulip glasses are best for better aroma as well as being aesthetically pleasing, all-purpose glassware.

I agree. It’s mostly fu fu marketing. All about appearance. Ideal glasses for types of beverage was probably figured out long ago. All those fancy new shapes are just slightly modified proven designs...but now you can “patent it” and charge extra cause it’s “new n fancy”

I have a few of the IPA glasses mentioned above. I've got some Spiegalau, and some made elsewhere. I like them, I think they do enhance the aroma of an IPA, just my experience. I find myself drinking out of one of those or a pub glass our club did. I'm not picky anymore, just what I like to drink out of.

U can find assorted glassware at goodwill

A few years ago, my wife found a pretty wide assortment at a garage sale. The woman’s elderly father died and left about 50 assorted beer and wine glasses. The woman was asking 4 for $1. So my wife FaceTimed me and I picked out 4 that I liked. She told my wife her dad had about 300 beer glasses, most of them never used. He had 100 different beer glasses signed by Cardinals players over the years, from Stan Musial to Adam Wainwright. She said he probably bought them at Busch and before the game and got players to sign them. Her brothers and cousins went through and took all them.

Back