IPA - Freshness issue - re-dry-hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparger

Reaction score
My dry-hopped IPAs are wonderful for about three weeks. After that, they start getting harsh - less aroma but the bitterness is still coming through. Can you re-dryhopp an IPA 3 weeks in? I make 5 gallon keg batches and cant drink them fash enough. Maybe I'll stick to lagers and just make IPAs for parties where they get finished faster.

My dry-hopped IPAs are wonderful for about three weeks. After that, they start getting harsh - less aroma but the bitterness is still coming through. Can you re-dryhopp an IPA 3 weeks in? I make 5 gallon keg batches and cant drink them fash enough. Maybe I'll stick to lagers and just make IPAs for parties where they get finished faster.

Alternative is to just reduce or eliminate oxygen during keg transfer (unless you are bottling)/add hops to the actual keg itself. Will stay pretty tasty for longer than 3 weeks for sure (though chances are you might finish it quicker anyway!)

Or just dry hop in the keg and then leave it in till the keg kicks.

I only dry hop in the keg now, I've been doing it for years now.

Since you're mentioning they start getting harsh, like hop-harsh? If so, that's oxygen doing it's thing on the hops, it's the beginning of no-hop. Eliminate oxygen as good as you can.

Ditto. Get your Oxygen under control.

If you want to test your next batch to the max force age the beer by putting it in your hot press for 10 days, that'll act like a lot more days at ambient temperature. Remember for every 10 degrees C upwards the beer goes in storage the oxidation rate increases 2/3 fold.

Enjoy your next batch :)

Back