IPA fermentation stalled at 1.030?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rzlblrt417

Reaction score
So I have an IPA, 5 gallons, that started at 1.065. I pitched recovered other half yeast and it had good fermentation but then it suddenly stopped. I gave it a week with no change then pitched one packet of dry yeast to help it finish but after 2 days still nothing. This grist was 30% flaked oats and 70% 2 row. Any ideas on where I could have gone wrong?

just a couple quick things off the top of my head...

what type of yeast originally pitched? (and how much did you pitch?)
what was the dry yeast you pitched a week in? (may have been too much alcohol for the yeasties to get started up?)
what is the temperature during fermentation? (have you tried slightly raising the temp to get them moving again?)
have you tried gently rousing the yeast with long spoon handle (very gently, no waves - oxygen is not good at this point)

Trying to reply at everyone at the same time.

My mash temp was 156 For full body.
The fermentation stopped because I measured the gravity and it won't go any lower.
The fermentation temp was 68 then brought up to 70 to try and move things along but nothing.
I did try mixing but nothing changed.
The dry yeast us3d 3as safale us 05

I am just about ready to toss this one, nothing is changing

The fermentation stopped because I measured the gravity and it won't go any lower.

The fermentation didn't stop because you measured gravity! - I couldn't resist.

Did you measure gravity using a refractometer? If so, that is your problem.
Refractometers are inaccurate when alcohol is present.

Never even think about tossing a beer until you actually taste it.

You mashed way too high for an IPA. Where did you expect the final gravity to stop when you mashed at 156? 1.030 is still a little high but usually I end up around 1.020 - 1.025 when I mash that high for my stouts. Regardless what's done is done! DONT THROW IT AWAY. Just add a huge dry hop and you have NE type IPA.

i guess it comes down to personal preference. i personally wouldn't brew an ipa as high as 156 either, but it will still make an IPA...

Drink it, learn from it, adjust it next time, and enjoy a better version!

30% flaked oats for an IPA is pretty unusual. I would suspect that's why your FG is so high, more than anything. Were these gelatinized so you didn't need a cereal mash?

The answer to the refractometer-question posted above is highly interesting as a 1.030 reading from a 1.065 beer can be just perfect using a refractometer.

You could always try pitching a vial of WLP099 or Dry Belgian Ale from The Yeast Bay. If, on the off chance there is anything left, they'll find it. If all else fails: dry hop.

Back