IPA Fermentation - keeps on goin...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arachnocat

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
This is my first post. I just began brewing a few months ago and I'm really enjoying it!
My first beer was an oatmeal stout kit. Everything was right on schedule with this beer. Fermentation began after about 8 hours and was completed within three days.

I am now brewing an Imperial IPA (also from a kit).
Fermentation began after only 3 hours and after 17 days.... it's still goin!
I'm wondering if this is ok. I am eager to transfer it to the secondary fermenter where I will be adding some dry hops but I don't want to rush it of course.
Fermentation has slowed, but there is about 1/4" of krausen still on top and those little yeasts just keep bubblin.
My question is, is it normal for fermentation to last this long or should I be trying to slow it down? Can I transfer it to secondary yet or must I wait for it to completely stop?

I don't see any reason to try and slow it down; you can't rush good beer. I understand your eagerness, but if you've still got activity, it's not ready :). I'd definitely leave it in primary for a few more days; dropping dry hops into a batch that's still got good activity will just waste the hops anyway, as most of the aroma will get blown out by the fermentation gases.

As for whether this is expected or not, it would really depend on your recipe. Most particularly, what was your OG? What yeast did you use?

the only way to really know where you are at is to take a gravity reading... if you brewed a big IIPA, then it might be feasible it is still fermenting.

what was your OG? whats your ferm temp at? and what kind of yeast?

Latest posts

Back