IPA Dry Hop or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubiwan

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on and IPA.

Just made an IPA, Pretty basic grain bill of 2 row, c-40 and munich light. I used Columbus as the bittering hop for 60, and threw in some cascade at 30. For the last 5 minutes I threw in and ounce each of simcoe, citra and cascade. Was all 15 gram packs.

At 3 days I just took an SG, and tasted the stuff. Its very tangy, like you'd expect an IPA to taste. Do I really need to dry hop that thing? If it gets any more tart than it is, not sure I'm going to appreciate it. Will much of that flavour in the fermentor dissipate?

I like the zip of an IPA, but I dont want to be drinking bloody fruit juice. :)

Concerned IPA Citizens want to know.

Its not really a ipa without dry hops. IMO you cant have too much aroma. Dry hop the **** out of it

I'd have to agree. While its ultimately your beer and you can do whatever you wish, I find that the dry hop does give it that extra oomph that is enjoyable in an ipa. I hesitated dry hopping for awhile because I had poor results due to some equipment limitations. In fact, I started a thread very similar to this at one point. I've since fixed that problem and its made a nice difference in my pale ales. That being said, I dont like the overly juicy ipas either, and if you like it where its at, then keep it where its at. Its not like the beer police are gonna roll in and take your stockpile because its not brewed a certain way.

But if it were me, I would toss a dry hop in.

I also agree. Like Immocles said that extra oomph is what at least in my opinion makes ipa enjoyable and fresh. I always dry hop my ipas but then again that might not be your cup of tea. Try dry hopping and brew the next batch without dry hops. Or vice versa. That way you can figure out which way you like your ipa more. There's no right or wrong in this subject, just different opinions :)

It will be fine either way. For a while i was just doing just big whirlpool additions to my pales, and those were good beers no question, but because of the way hops fade, I have returned to dry hopping 6 days before bottling and agree with the others that it does give a nice boost.

I don't usually get tart and tangy from citra, simcoe and cascade. I don't think that flavor is being caused by the hops, and I'm guessing it'll disappear by the time your beer is finished and carbed. Beers tasted mid-fermentation won't taste much like the final product. Even beer tasted post fermentation but pre carb/conditioning won't reflect the final product much.

I concur with all the other posts, I would dry hop

Back