IPA done fermenting in 4 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zimbigneu

Reaction score
Last Sunday i made a 10 gallon batch of 115th IPA from Northern Brewer. The OG ended up low (1.073). Now 4 days later I have not noticed any activity from the airlock at all. I decided to take a reading and it was 1.003.
How is this possible after 4 days? Should i dump the sediment from the bottom of the vessel and start the secondary?
Im just baffled on how low it went so quick. I used a 2000 ml starter of wyeast #1056. Nothing changed in the mash from the instructions, i just used 1/2 oz bitter orange in the last 10 mins of the boil.

4 days isn't unusual... the majority of fermentation typically occurs in the first 24-48 hours.

The odd thing is the FG. 1.003 is really low. What was your mash schedule?

It was 148 at first (i mis-calculated the strike). It took about 7 mins after that to bring it up to 152 for 60 min then 170 for 10. That should be all give or take a degree.

Make sure your hydrometer is calibrated with distilled water. My bet is that you really hit your OG and FG reading but your hydro is off. Other than that it is not unusual for a beer to hit FG in 4 days with lots of healthy yeast.

Oddly enough the hydrometer is accurate. Assuming distilled water is 1.000 at room temp.

Usually your hydrometer will be accurate at either 60 or 68 degrees F. Depends on what it is calibrated at. It will say somewhere on it.

Back