IPA Critique Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chip82

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I am trying to put together my first recipe ever. I have read some books and the forums, and I am hoping not to faceplant on this too hard. Here it goes, be as harsh as necessary, but nothing more. haha.

I am looking to make a citrusy IPA. I also do not know what kind of yeast.

Type: All Grain
Yeast: unknown
Batch Size: 5 Gallons
Mash Time: 60 Mins
Boil Time: 60 Mins

Malts: 60 Mins
9 lbs American 2-Row
1 lbs Crystal 40L
1 lbs Victory

Hop Schedule:
60 Minutes
1.0 oz Cascade Pellet
1.0 oz Citra Pellet
20 Minutes
0.5 oz Cascade Pellet
0.5 oz Citra Pellet
5 Minutes
0.5 oz Cascade Pellet
0.5 oz Citra Pellet

Other Additions
5 Minutes
1.0 oz Orange Zest
1.0 oz Lemon Zest
1.0 oz Lime Zest

Dry Hoping
1 Week
1.0 oz Cascade Pellet
1.0 oz Citra Pellet
1.0 oz Orange Zest
1.0 oz Lemon Zest
1.0 oz Lime Zest

I have no clue if this is a terrible recipe or not. I thought it sounded like something delicious so I would get some comments on it before I attempted to brew it.

Thanks In Advance,
Chip

Looks like a good start.

I would do .75 on the Crystal and maybe bump the Vienna up by .25 lbs.

I don't know about the zest, but you do what you want.

I like the hops though. Might move that 20 min. to 15 min but that's just me.

With the zest, I am really wanting to get a good aroma and flavor from them. I did think about adding them at flame out instead of at 5 mins, but I was unsure if it would make a difference. And I will take the 20 mins hops into consideration too.

I don't get citrus from Citra, I get fruit. I brewed an all Citra beer when it came out and I really hated it. Awesome aroma, though. Centennial or Amarillo would be a good replacement for the Citra.

For the 60 minute addition I only use 1 hop. And it's usually not the same as my flavor and aroma hops. For example I bitter with Magnum and use Simcoe and Amarillo in the later additions on my pale ale.

If it were me I would back off the C-40 by a quarter pound. Don't want it being too sweet.

As far as yeast you can't go wrong with WLP001 or S-05. Though I also like WLP007 and WLP023 when I'm feeling adventurous.

Just some suggestions. You never know until you try.

I agree with bend on this in regards to the zest. I would be a little afraid of a "froot loop" effect but that is just my opinion. I think dropping the 20min to 15 will give more flavor too.

Personally, I would drop the dry hopping and just add the hops for dry hopping at flameout for a big hoppy flavor but that is only my opinion!!

Good luck and keep us updated on what you decide and how it turns out!!

Looks like a good start.

I would do .75 on the Crystal and maybe bump the Vienna up by .25 lbs.

I don't know about the zest, but you do what you want.

I like the hops though. Might move that 20 min. to 15 min but that's just me.

That's Victory not Vienna. 1 lb is usually what I use.

Quick question: Are Victory and Vienna the same? Or should I be choosing one over the other?

I guess my questions was just answered

They're both suppose to give you a toasty flavor. I've never really picked up on it that much with the Vienna, and I've made an all Vienna base beer. Victory is gonna give you a lot toasted flavor. I love it.

Hey there again,

I was looking into redoing my hops schedule with the following
1.0 oz Columbus @ 60 min
0.5 oz Amarillo @ 15 min
0.5 oz Cascade @ 15 min
0.5 oz Amarillo @ 5 min
0.5 oz Cascade @ 5 min

but after reading it seems as the Amarillo and Cascade are very similar. Should i just choose 1 of them or go with the both?

Thanks in Advance,

Chip

I wouldn't say they're similar, maybe in the same "flavor family", but you can definitely tell one apart from the other. Looks good to me.

How many IBUs is that giving you?

Back