IPA Bread...??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfbayne

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I dont know if this would work or not but has anyone ever used post boiled hops in an addition to making a spent grain bread recipe?

If you have tried it...results? and maybe share a recipe or two?

Cheers!

Not that exactly, but I have used the yeast slurry from an IPA to make pizza dough, very hoppy and it did not go with the pizza so I won't be doing that again.

I have also used yeast slurry from an IPA for bread baking. The problem is that almost no matter what you do, you'll wind up with bitter notes that are (to my palate, anyway) very off-putting in bread. The aromatics seem like they should be nice, but in practice you get bitterness too.

I can only imagine this would be magnified greatly by using spent hops. They're never totally devoid of bittering potential, and it'll only take a little to make your bread gross.

That said, I'm an empiricist, and if you try it, I'd be pleased to hear the results--it'd be great to be wrong.

Ive used some homebrewed IPA for bread. I didnt care to much for it was astringent tasting.

I don't think the yeast would matter here, but rather the use of American IPA hops as a late addition. Perhaps by extracting the essence in a liquid form and infusing it into the partially cooked dough. The later you add your aromatics, the more potent they are. Chewing on hop debrise in bread however would be kind of nasty.

This is bread made from the spent grains of a wheat beer, came out awesome!

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back