Iowa Roll Call

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same boat, different oar. I too bought a snowblower this year amazing timing I would say. I to am slowly getting my local friends in the knowledge of Homebrew. I suggest starting with cream ales blond ales just start the conversion LOL

Livermore, IA. Bought a house in July and hope to get an area set up in basement for winemaking some time in the next year. Until then I'm planning to build a fermentation chamber to keep heat right, as temps in basement are pretty constant at 50°F.

Livermore, IA. Bought a house in July and hope to get an area set up in basement for winemaking some time in the next year. Until then I'm planning to build a fermentation chamber to keep heat right, as temps in basement are pretty constant at 50°F.

Welcome to the site!! Plenty of info to dig through here. I’m about 20 miles south of you near fort diggity.

Hey all, Des Moines here, originally Oskaloosa/Eddyville area. Totally new to homebrewing. I've got my first two batches fermenting, and going to start doing some experimenting in the next few weeks.

Iowa City here. I'm a member of the THIRSTY club. No one's mentioned it but the BIY shop in North Liberty closed down and began focusing on their Cedar Rapids/Marion store. It was always a pain to get to for me and I didn't care much for the pricing. But I suppose you'll have that. I've been doing the bulk of my shopping online since I started back in 2008 anyway.

Iowa City here. I'm a member of the THIRSTY club. No one's mentioned it but the BIY shop in North Liberty closed down and began focusing on their Cedar Rapids/Marion store. It was always a pain to get to for me and I didn't care much for the pricing. But I suppose you'll have that. I've been doing the bulk of my shopping online since I started back in 2008 anyway.
Ya, BIY is a tad high but not out of line. Joe's brother now runs it and has been for a few years now.
I need to look into the THIRSTY club. Hoping this weather breaks. I've been brewing indoors because its so cold. Thank God for a decent wife! Hope we get to meet sometime and maybe you can teach me a few things.

Ya, BIY is a tad high but not out of line. Joe's brother now runs it and has been for a few years now.
I need to look into the THIRSTY club. Hoping this weather breaks. I've been brewing indoors because its so cold. Thank God for a decent wife! Hope we get to meet sometime and maybe you can teach me a few things.
Yep, Mike is his name, right? He's nice.

The THIRSTY club has been doing Zoom meetings since the pandemic started and I haven't even been to one. I'm just not into that. I used to love going to the Sanctuary, having a pizza, beers, and shooting the ****. Not really the same when it's virtual. But I'm still a member (mainly for bulk grain buys at this point) and look forward to in-person meetings again one day.
And dang it, I'm ready for this winter to be over! I got spring fever pretty bad already.

Yep, Mike is his name, right? He's nice.

The THIRSTY club has been doing Zoom meetings since the pandemic started and I haven't even been to one. I'm just not into that. I used to love going to the Sanctuary, having a pizza, beers, and shooting the ****. Not really the same when it's virtual. But I'm still a member (mainly for bulk grain buys at this point) and look forward to in-person meetings again one day.
And dang it, I'm ready for this winter to be over! I got spring fever pretty bad already.
I hear that concerning this crappy weather. Not real sure of his name, shame on me. He just takes my money🤣.
On a good note. I did get my hands on a Anvil 10.5. Should be here next week. One happy camper. I'll use it during Winter. And my goto kettle in better weather.
Stay safe! And keep in touch, we'll do Millstream one day or maybe do a brewday.

Last edited:
North Liberty, IA here. I've gone to BIY a few times, they closed the North Liberty shop about the time I moved here so I tend to do most of my ordering online, but I try to get up to CR once in a while. It's particularly handy have a local shop for liquid yeast during the summer months.

Have not checked out the clubs in IC or CR, may have to try and get to a meeting this year.

Cheers

Back