"Invisible" BG14 flame

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoH20

Reaction score
I have a low pressure setup, and I can barely see my flames during daylight outside. Think it's plenty hot, and I think the flames are tall, just barely visible however. Is this unusual? Was expecting to see very blue like others I've seen. It's the same with the pilot light. Maybe I need to try in the garage where it's not so bright.

Todd

I get the same thing on my banjo burners running natural gas outside. brew during the day and just guess where the flames at... I find that its a fun game I play when I brew. lol

my last batch was supposed to be on super low to maintain heat on my mash tun. walked away for a bit and I was mashing at 180* whoops...

Yep, same here. It takes a little longer to get things going, but it's brewday! If you're in a hurry, you're in the wrong hobby. I maybe MAYBE added 30 mins to my brewday when it switched to NG from propane. But I saved a crap ton of time and energy going into town to refill my propane tanks for every brewday. So, it's a wash in the end and way more convenient.

I don't brew outside but I don't think my low pressure banjo flames would be easily visible out there. They aren't very bright in the pole barn (skylights let in a lot of light). I can set the flame height without looking at them, though, because I know from previous views where to set the ball valve. The Honeywell is set to provide the max desired flame with the ball valve wide open.

Well, I've got PIDs so not worried about overshooting. I did a test and averaged about 3 degrees/min. Guess that's ok. Have a 40lb tank, so should be able to get a few brew days in. And a buddy at the local propane place ��

Was just curious as to what others were seeing.

Todd

That is a goodthing as far as fuel combustion. It may be a pain not to be able to see the flame, but it is better than an orange monster.

The sunlight spectrum has something to do with this. My high school science class is way behind me but iam sure some one will chime in on the science

I have only one burner set up with a Honeywell right now, as a trial rig. It's on the HLT/hex keggle. It has a temperature controller on it and I'm pleased with how that works. Now it's time to get everything transferred over to a different brewstand (which I haven't built yet) and rig three low pressure burners with Honeywell valves. I won't be using a controller on the boil kettle, though. Just an on/off switch and a ball valve for flame regulation. That's why I wanted to be able to judge flame height.

Back