Invert "No. 2" - today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, first time I've made invert in a few years. Had difficulty on the stovetop reaching and maintaining 240-250F, so switched up and put the pot into the pre-heated oven. Confident on the oven thermometer but not on the temperature swings due to oven cycling, though I presumed thermal mass for the invert and a pizza stone (and lava stone tray, for steaming for bread baking) would mitigate against the swings somewhat. Bottom line I think I might have ranged closer if not very slightly over 250 for the entirety of the cooking, which I checked at 90 minutes but took to a final period of 105 minutes at temp.

Looks beautiful, tastes great, but I think towards the darker range of 30-35 SRM, if not over. Thoughts?

1700956365475.jpeg

Last edited:
What sugar did you start with? It looks delicious. I used to make invert years ago, but the unholy mess process. I found that no matter how black my product was, it added very little color to the beer. (it was always delicious)

But I never tried the oven. Have you found that you can put significant color into a brew that way?

What sugar did you start with? It looks delicious. I used to make invert years ago, but the unholy mess process. I found that no matter how black my product was, it added very little color to the beer. (it was always delicious)

But I never tried the oven. Have you found that you can put significant color into a brew that way?
Thanks! It was just raw cane sugar. I have turbinado but thought it would start too dark to begin with. I'm going to make some with the turbinado and just use the oven method, to play around. I'm working up a RIS where it might be nice to play with. The nice thing, like brewSJ said, was to be able to set the oven and let it go. Still not convinced it didn't swing out of range due to cycling, but suspect it had enough mass the invert itself probably didn't veer off too badly.

I like using a pressure canner for making invert, still requires a little babysitting but the temp is easy to control. Also can make it easier to pour as you don't have to evaporate the water and the end product is sterile.

I like using a pressure canner for making invert, still requires a little babysitting but the temp is easy to control. Also can make it easier to pour as you don't have to evaporate the water and the end product is sterile.
Hadn't thought of that - really clever. How do you get the temp right?

15psi gives you 245F

You want to help stabilize the temp using the oven you can put the jar in a heavy pan and fill it with pie weights or rice or beans like they do for blind baking a pie crust.

edit: 15psi is 250F

Last edited:
15psi gives you 245F

You want to help stabilize the temp using the oven you can put the jar in a heavy pan and fill it with pie weights or rice or beans like they do for blind baking a pie crust.
Cool, I'd wondered if that was it. And, clever idea on the beans, thanks for tip 2. Lot of help for next time, thanks.

A sugar product heavily used in historical UK brewing. With heat and acid, a sugar solution changes chemically and light passing through it 'inverts' its polarization. Sucrose splits in to glucose and fructose. The whys, the hows, the whats are very much in discussion on this board.

Looking forward to another one likely tomorrow, this time using turbinado and shooting for a No. 3. Looking back over old recipes of mine, I actually used it in a strong bitter so it will be nice to try again. Warminster backbone, light touch on Baird's 77 & 135-160, one version with challenger at 60, Northdown at 10 and First Gold at 5, flameout/WP and dry, and another with 100% First Gold so it will be nice to try again.

Latest posts

Back