Introduction/grapefruit ipa question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed some back in college, but the bottle game killed the fun! After 25 years I decided to get back in the game with kegs. I love a good juicy IPA therefore I picked up a partial extract kit for a grapefruit IPA. The brew went fantastic and it is bubbling away nicely now.

The kit came with 4 ounces of grapefruit flavoring. Something doesn’t seem right about adding this to my beer? What should I be doing to get the proper grapefruit flavor in the beer? The kit had me add 2 ounces of grapefruit peel with 10 minutes left of my boil, but I’m guessing the activity in primary scrubbed any fruit flavor out already.

I’ve done a great deal of reading here, but I can’t find much on this topic other than “flavoring 1/5 stars, would not recommend “

Also, a shout out to any west Michigan peeps!

I’ve done a great deal of reading here, but I can’t find much on this topic other than
Without specific kit instructions, it's hard to make specific recommendations.

Package the beer, give it time to condition, then enjoy the first beer. Maybe you'll get the grapefruit taste that you're looking for. If not, maybe it's still a great IPA.

I've made a grapefruit IPA with peels that were baked in a low oven and then added to the end of the boil. Peel one grapefruit per gallon. It came out OK, but the grapefruit note fades fast. I've also tried adding frozen grapefruit juice concentrate to the keg, and this worked out much better, but you have to be careful how much you add. Another method I haven't tried is adding grapefruit zest to the fermenter after its done bubbling. Sometimes I just add a shot of grapefruit juice to a pint of beer and get the flavor that way.

I've made a grapefruit IPA with peels that were baked in a low oven and then added to the end of the boil. Peel one grapefruit per gallon. It came out OK, but the grapefruit note fades fast. I've also tried adding frozen grapefruit juice concentrate to the keg, and this worked out much better, but you have to be careful how much you add. Another method I haven't tried is adding grapefruit zest to the fermenter after its done bubbling. Sometimes I just add a shot of grapefruit juice to a pint of beer and get the flavor that way.

adding zest to the secondary is what I am leaning towards but like i said,very little information on the subject is around. I will likely either do the zest or keg as is and enjoy the ipa for what it is.

Last edited:
Thaks. I see there is both a spice pack (added near end of boil) and grapefruit flavoring (added on bottling day).

What's wrong with following the recipe? It may be that the combination of the spices and the flavoring give the best results.

I am excited about my beer so I researched the recipe. In doing so, I found many comments about a chemical flavor and not a single comment saying anything positive about this type of flavoring. I think if a flavor extract was all the rage, you guys would be sharing the positives.

have you utilized these types of flavoring with success?

Longtime lurker, first time poster. I had good results with a grapefruit weissbier by taking off the peels of two grapefruit and soaking in an oz or 2 of relatively neutral alcohol like vodka or tequila for a few days. Add the liquid only to the beer at bottling. If you don't mind cloudy you can also prime with simply grapefruit which is pasteurized so you don't need to worry about contamination. To prime compute (grams sugar = grams on nutrition label x no servings) and then top off with sugar syrup as needed to get the correct number of grams of sugar for priming.

I think if a flavor extract was all the rage, you guys would be sharing the positives.
Give the topic some time to develop. It wasn't until reply #8 that we got a recipe. ;)

It seems you have developed a negative opinion towards the grapefruit extract flavoring. If so, that negative feeling may carry forward into the finished beer.

You're the head brewer for this beer and you probably have enough information and opinions to make a decision.

I plan to brew a grapefruit ipa in the near future, I'll be using Apex grapefruit flavoring I love their products, (at least the ones I've tried so far). There's a thread or two here somewhere about using this company's flavoring, all positive reviews. I've used their toasted coconut flavoring in a stout, and their pecan flavoring in a porter. Both were excellent. I currently have an apricot wheat kegged and carbing. Initial tasting was encouraging. **Word of warning if you use these - go light. I think the recommended dosage for 5 gallons was like a TBS added to the keg. I added 3/4 TSP for my wheat beer and it was plenty.

Give the topic some time to develop. It wasn't until reply #8 that we got a recipe. ;)

It seems you have developed a negative opinion towards the grapefruit extract flavoring. If so, that negative feeling may carry forward into the finished beer.

You're the head brewer for this beer and you probably have enough information and opinions to make a decision.

There is no negativity here :) I have a delicious ipa brewing and it smells amazing. 2 oz of dry hop coming in about a day. If I zest, it will be good. If I flavor, it will be in a small sample and force carbonated/sampled. so yes, I can make the call per your suggestion. I guess I just wanted to chat about it.

I am deviating from the recipe recommendations and skipping secondary as per the advice of this group. I trust you guys much more than an instruction sheet, which is why I askedabout the flavor :)

I trust you guys much more than an instruction sheet,

That is probably your first mistake. If a company developed and is marketing a kit recipe, they have at least tried it and thought it turned out good. If it has many good reviews (I wouldn't buy one that didn't), I would follow the directions at least the first time I brewed it. I could then alter it a little the next time if it was worth brewing again.

I would put more faith in a high quality kit instruction sheet than I would put in an internet forum with a very wide range of brewing knowledge and experience. That would be a crapshoot.

Longtime lurker, first time poster. I had good results with a grapefruit weissbier by taking off the peels of two grapefruit and soaking in an oz or 2 of relatively neutral alcohol like vodka or tequila for a few days. Add the liquid only to the beer at bottling. If you don't mind cloudy you can also prime with simply grapefruit which is pasteurized so you don't need to worry about contamination. To prime compute (grams sugar = grams on nutrition label x no servings) and then top off with sugar syrup as needed to get the correct number of grams of sugar for priming.

Thanks for reminding me why I bought kegs ;)

I have seen this tincture method on the forum also. It would seem like this is a much better option than the artificial all natural flavor. I can flavor to taste in the keg in the same way.

Thanks for the contribution:)

That is probably your first mistake. If a company developed and is marketing a kit recipe, they have at least tried it and thought it turned out good. If it has many good reviews (I wouldn't buy one that didn't), I would follow the directions at least the first time I brewed it. I could then alter it a little the next time if it was worth brewing again.

I would put more faith in a high quality kit instruction sheet than I would put in an internet forum with a very wide range of brewing knowledge and experience. That would be a crapshoot.

point made. I have seen a fair amount of bad advice in many forums.

I’ll post a follow up here when the beer is finished. I doubt skipping the secondary will have a detrimental effect, but I know oxidation from reracking will hurt my hop flavor.

I brewed some back in college, but the bottle game killed the fun! After 25 years I decided to get back in the game with kegs. I love a good juicy IPA therefore I picked up a partial extract kit for a grapefruit IPA. The brew went fantastic and it is bubbling away nicely now.

The kit came with 4 ounces of grapefruit flavoring. Something doesn’t seem right about adding this to my beer? What should I be doing to get the proper grapefruit flavor in the beer? The kit had me add 2 ounces of grapefruit peel with 10 minutes left of my boil, but I’m guessing the activity in primary scrubbed any fruit flavor out already.

I’ve done a great deal of reading here, but I can’t find much on this topic other than “flavoring 1/5 stars, would not recommend “

Also, a shout out to any west Michigan peeps!
I make a “tea” using the zest of the grapefruit. I prefer the ruby ones. Be careful not to peel of any of the pith. A vegetable peeler works well.
I then boil the zest ina cup or two of water for 5 minutes and let it steep until cool.
I add at kegging. You can adjust to your taste.

I make a “tea” using the zest of the grapefruit. I prefer the ruby ones. Be careful not to peel of any of the pith. A vegetable peeler works well.
I then boil the zest ina cup or two of water for 5 minutes and let it steep until cool.

fantastic! How many grapefruit do you typically zest per gallon?

I’m feeling better now knowing I have several post fermentation options.

I use the zest from one to two depending on size and strength of flavor of the tea.
it’s simple and effective.

Amoretti passed out 8.5 oz. bottles of their Grapefruit Craft Puree at the NHC in Providence. I added a whole bottle to a five gallon keg of American wheat. Not my favorite, but it's the wife's go-to tap. I think the puree would be well suited for an IPA.

You can also use crystallized grapefruit. NB sells some. True Grapefruit is another (cheaper) option. I've heard of some people using the True Grapefruit in seltzers with good results. It's like $4 for probably 2x what you'd need, so you could buy some, make a gallon of grapefruit water, and see if it tastes like anything you'd want to dump in a beer.

Edit: You could reach out to NitrogenWidget who talked about using some of the crystallized grapefruit here. He's been on recently, so he may respond quickly.

Last edited:

For what it's worth, I agree with this. Use the zest in an alcohol solution (use vodka or ever clear for your tincture, let it rest for 2 weeks in your fridge) and add small amounts (~1ml at a time) to a set amount of finished beer. Once it hits the taste profile you desire; calculate how much it would be for your entire (or remainder) batch and then add as needed.

Tinctures work. It's not legal if you are beholden to the ATF, but for us home brewers, they work just fine. Doctor your beer as you see fit; don't let anyone tell you it isn't beer because you played with a tincture as an additive. Taste is all that matters, unless you are selling it, in which case all bets are off because...rules.

I kegged and force carbed my beer tonight after 4 days of cold crash at 34deg. Before cold crash it was terrible bitter, tasted burnt, and had the finish of a glass of water.

tonight’s tasting showed a matured beer, but just a touch on the bitter side. I probably extracted too much AA from the last hop add due to my lack of a chiller…

Anyway, I added a drop or two of the “natural flavor” to my glass and it changed the nose of the beer immensely. It wasn’t enough to taste, but the nose alone balanced the bitter and made for a fantastic grapefruit ipa. I’m sure vodka tea would have worked also :)

Long story short, I added about 1,5 oz of the 4oz flavoring to my keg and am VERY HAPPY with my first ipa!

Finally I can relax and enjoy a homebrew!

Attachments

• C44B664B-BF09-4443-822D-CF4A8D8CD49F.jpeg
    C44B664B-BF09-4443-822D-CF4A8D8CD49F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
I kegged and force carbed my beer tonight after 4 days of cold crash at 34deg. Before cold crash it was terrible bitter, tasted burnt, and had the finish of a glass of water.

Now you know what suspended yeast and hops do to your beer. The cold crash did what time would also do. It one of the reasons that "green beer" flavors happen and why leaving the beer longer in the fermenter and/or bottle/keg works.

Now you know what suspended yeast and hops do to your beer. The cold crash did what time would also do. It one of the reasons that "green beer" flavors happen and why leaving the beer longer in the fermenter and/or bottle/keg works.

Being a newb and wanting to learn, I actually coldcrashed my gravity samples, force carbed and tasted. I believe the flavor and finish change was mostly due to time/conditioning.

Back