Interesting Wit Head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddie884

Reaction score
Just brewed my second AG brew--Belgian Witbier.

When I pour it the head foams up well and while drinking the head seems to not dissolve like store-bought beers. I've poured some where a little bit of the head will stay together and float (it floats back when you take a sip). Everything else about the beer turned out well and I see this as a minor problem. The recipe did use about 40-45% wheat for its grist, so that might be a source, any other ideas?

thanks,
e

that sounds perfect. it's the protein from the wheat. my black wit did the same thing...the head would move out of the way for you while you drank it, then go right back on top to protect the aroma. it was hilarious.

Its not a minor problem. beer SHOULD have a head on it in most situations (low carb volumes that fit the style wont' give you much head).

sounds like a good beer!

can you post the recipe? My second ever (extract) brew was a wit but due to the LME it was far from the "right" color. Now that i'm going all grain I think it's time to re-visit this one and do it proper! :mug:

Yeah, it's normal. I have to be real careful when I pour my wit or I can't get the whole bottle in the glass due to the huge head. And it stays put.

can you post the recipe? My second ever (extract) brew was a wit but due to the LME it was far from the "right" color. Now that i'm going all grain I think it's time to re-visit this one and do it proper!

"Honey Witbier"
OG: 1.046
FG: 1.011
Infusion or temperature step mash
Ferment: 7-10 days at 75 degrees
Carbonate: 7 or more at 75 degrees (2.4-2.9 vols)
Starter: Yes, 1 liter
Bitterness: 24 IBUs
Color: 3 SRM
Amount Item
3.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM)
3.50 lb Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM)
0.50 lb Rice Hulls (used for sparge help--it stuck once and then flowed well)
0.25 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (20 min)
2.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (20 min)
1.00 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 15.0 min)
1.00 oz Paradise Seeds (Boil 15.0 min)
2.00 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 15.0 min)
1.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM)
1 Pkgs Belgian Witbier (Wyeast Labs #3944)

Notes: Most of this recipe comes from Papazian's book "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing." You may want to change the spice mix ratios and ingredients to suit your personal taste. This mix gives you more of a bitter witbier (accentuated as well by the dryness from the honey). It's the opposite of Blue Moon (which tastes like fermented orange juice to me).

Back