Does Wheat Ale Self-Clarify?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a cloudy wheat ale in January. Obviously, no finings added. Now the beer is pouring pretty clear.

In my experience, bottled wheat ales stay cloudy. Maybe because the suspended matter doesn't have very far to fall and hide? In a keg, the bottom can be a long way from a floating intake.

Should I expect kegged wheat ales to get clearer with time? I can't remember whether they did this when I brewed them years ago.

Yes wheat beers will clear that’s why even a bottle of Blue Moon has instructions (so I've been told) to swirl the last few ounces to get the sediment. If you want the haze switch back to the dip tube and serve yourself from the bottom of the keg On the next one.

I don't really care if it's clear, but I wondered if it was going to happen to every wheat beer, and now that people are telling me some recommend stirring up the yeast, I feel like I should use long dip tubes in the future. But maybe that won't work, because the beer will still clear, and I'll just end up eating a ton of yeast in the first gallon.

I'm not pulling a keg out of the keezer to play with it. That's for sure.

I honestly also don't enjoy the sedimented and re-roused yeast in German wheat beers. If it's there, I don't mind but I would never think about forcing the yeast back into suspension.

yeah , I'm just like you I've been out of the hobby for over 20 years and ****'s changed . My Corny kegs ( sitting in a dusty corner of a friends garage) were modified so as to not suck up yeast ... I cut a couple slits in the bottom of the tube and plugged the tube with a small cork so that I was drawing a little higher of the bottom of the keg.

I really love floating dip tubes. I'm using them for dispensing and fermenting.

I put a fat stainless nut between the tubing and the ball to keep the intake from surfacing. If I put it on the tubing, it can slide up, and I'm pretty sure I could end up sucking CO2.

Spaten crystal weiss was my first.

As things turned out, the keg started blowing CO2 right after I left this thread. I got 4 ounces out, and that was that. Switched to the new wheat, made with the same grain but Brangelina Tangerina...I mean Mandarina Bavaria...hops. Lots of bananas. Very cloudy. More yeast flavor than I really need. I guess when I put it in the keezer, I stirred it up.

I may start fining this stuff in the future.

The more I think about it, the more I think there is no practical way to keep this stuff cloudy, so I won't worry about it.
I learned from the most egotistical brewer to ever hit the Australian airwaves, Graham L. Sanders, to add a tablespoon of flour to the boil. I did so on my last witbier many months ago and it is still hazy today. Starch haze.

I brewed a Hefeweizen that ultimately turned into a Krystalweizen in a few months.
Many German brewers of Hefeweizen filter the yeast and package with a lager yeast because it stays in suspension longer. They will also ship kegs upside-down so that when it is tapped right side up, the yeast goes fully into suspension. All this to make a hazy hefe. Otherwise it would more than likely pour clear just like your wheat beer. Or just use your beer muscles!

Latest posts

Back