Intentionally underpitching a hefe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripleC223

Reaction score
Seeking input here on how to properly underpitch a hefe...

I've read that in order to draw more banana flavors from a hefe, you need to stress the yeast. Underpitching seems to be the most popular way to do that. However, I'm not sure exactly how much to underpitch.

My plan is to brew a 3-gallon batch (OG 1.050) and pitch one vial/pack of either Wyeast 3068 or WLP300 WITHOUT a starter. Is this setting myself up for failure?

Mr. Malty says I need 105 billion cells. I believe Wyeast & WLP packets have ~100 billion cells. Can I just pitch the yeast as is from whichever of those I get my hands on?

FWIW, this is an extract batch.

Theres a couple statements to be made here I think.
1. Underpitching is one way to get more banana flavors from a Hefe, but any method that stresses out the yeast will suffice. Another very common method is to ferment at a higher temperature, which for some is a much easier method then underpitching.

2. Yeast packs are tricky, depending on how they were stored and how old they are many calculators suggest that up to 50% of the yeast may already be dead. I believe Mr. Malty assumes 50% of dry yeast is not viable, but that number can vary quite a bit.

3. Underpitching 100 billion to 105 billion is not that much to make a difference. I believe there was an xBeeriment that underpitched to 30% and 60%. I dont exactly remember the conclusions, but IIRC the larger underpitch was required to get the flavors to actually come out. All that to say, a ratio of 100/105 is probably not enough to stress the yeast for an underpitch.

I would increase fermentation temp if you have that ability. Much easier than what youre proposing with underpitching

I just brewed a hefe a good 5 weeks ago or so and purposely underpitched... I'd recommend it for sure!

I built up some yeast from the dregs of a Schneider bottle and so I just built up to a starter size which was 60% what MrMalty suggested (I think it suggested a litre starter and I made just short of a half litre...2.5 gal batch).

I've made about 80 batches to date and this one is easily in my top 3...turned out so beautifully...perfect banana/clove balance, refreshing etc...so good. I fermented at 16.5C/62F which is what a lot of my reading told me would strike that balance (combined with the underpitch).

Back