Intentional high temp ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnNelson

Reaction score
Has anyone experimented with intentionally fermenting in the 75-80deg range?

Right now I have a Bavarian Hef with WLP300 that I put in my non-AC'd living room and it ripped and roared around 76-78deg.

Burnside Brewing, one of my favorite local houses, has a beer called 'The Fruity Monk' that they advertise they fermented at 78deg, though I don't know what yeast they used (sounds like a Belgian) http://burnsidebrewco.com/Brews.php?Group=Current Seasonals.

I brew most of my Saison's at 80+ using either the wyeast Belgian or French Saison strains. The French strain is rated up to 78 but does rather well in the 80 range. Not sure how other yeast strains would fair in that range even if the damn handle 75ish, but the french Saison chewed through 1056 to 1006 in three days and I was drinking it in 2.5 Weeks kegged. I'd expect any beer fermented at that temp to have a funky farmhouse aroma and flavor, the extent of which would be determined by the grain bill and hops used.

The Saison I brewed had citra and sorachi ace so it balanced the funkiness and made the beer very drinkable for non Saison types.

Back