Instead of yeast washing...(dry yeast)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kswanny

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So i made a yeast starter for my S-04 Dry english ale yeast right form the package and reserved a few hundred ml in the fridge to avoid washing yeast. I will make a starter for this small portion of yeast before my next batch and i have pure clean yeast without the hassle.

My question for this thread is, Does anyone do this? Does anyone have any reasons why this is a bad Idea?

I haven't used that reserved portion yet so can't say if it worked or not.

I just have never seen anyone mention this technique so maybe it doesn't work but its super easy and theoretically should work right?

I suppose on thursday I will post if the starter took of or not. I just had to share this idea tonight

People regularly do this with liquid yeast, less so with dry yeast. Mostly due to dry yeast cell count and the fact that dry yeasts usually have nutrient reserves in place that a starter will deplete.

Take a look at homebrewdads starter calculator next time to easily determine how big you need to make your starter accounting for the reserved yeast.

http://www.homebrewdad.com/yeast_calculator.php

I've used the same package of us-05 for like 10 batches, using the same method. I just make my starter a pint larger than I need, and save that.

Latest posts

Back