Insignia Dual Tap Trouble shooting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sdiddy84

Reaction score
I have a dual Tap kegerator and one side is constantly foamy.

One side is pouring slow because I have the gas turned down to 8psi which I expected but the other is a raging monster.

The side that pours slower is a caribou slobber the other that's foamy is an APA

I need to know where to start troubleshooting. Kegerator is kept at 35f and beer line lengths are 6ft. 3/16 beer line. Same length my keezer was and I have never had an issue.
Because this is the second keg that was super foamy I think there is an issue with the one tap. Not the keg itself.

Lines are new and we're cleaned between kegs. Disconnects are the same as keezer. As with faucets. Shanks and tail pieces are different.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I haven't done that yet because I don't believe it's a keg issue. But I guess I could to eliminate that.

This could help you eliminate that variable. Say you’re currently got tap A hooked to keg Y and tap B hooked to keg Z. In this example, tap A is the foamy one. If you swap the lines and tap A still foams but tap B does not, you can assume that the kegs are probably fine and the fault is somewhere between the liquid connector and tap for tap A. If you swap the lines and tap B starts foaming then it’s likely that keg Y is the culprit.

Sorry for the delay in reply. I finally got around to swapping the lines and it looks like it's somewhere between the disconnect and the tap. Time to break her all down and slowly replace everything. I think I'm going to start with the orings.

What style kegs are these? If ball lock - and I suspect pin lock as well - the disconnects can occasionally cause problems, specifically if the spring is too weak or too strong to play nicely with the keg post poppets (too weak and the keg post poppet won't open fully, too strong and the disconnect plunger won't open fully).

If you use either of those style kegs you might swap the disconnects between the two beer lines and see if the problem follows one of them...

Cheers!

So I changed the disconnects and nothing changed.

I noticed the length of the lines were 5ft so I changed them to 10ft and and up'd the psi to 10 to properly balance the lines. How long should I have to wait to see if it makes a difference? 24 hours or should it be immediate.

Next step after this is to cool my tower incase that is an issue. I'll have it done tomorrow. Even if it's not it won't hurt. If that doesn't work in going to swap taps and see if that's the issue. I am determined to fix this.

So cooling my tower didn't work, not to mention that my fan only lasted a week before it died.
I did however change my shank and tail piece and it worked. Pours are normal! Apparently the shank and tail pieces that come with the Kegerator are junk.

Back