insects and airlocks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryden

Reaction score
Hi.

I am about to set my fermentation under the veranda to capture those ideal 21C drafts wafting from under the house.

My question is about airlock options. I have a simple plastic airlock. In the past it has bubbled over and gone lengths of time without any water to lock out air, so am cautious about putting my beer outside, under the veranda, with most likely various insects that would love to contaminate the brew via the airlock.

Is there a type of airlock design that offers what could be called an insect proof barrier? I have looked at the few options from my local home brew store but would very much appreciate any suggestions anyone might have.

Cheers !
Bryden

As long as you keep sanitizer or vodka in your airlock you'd be fine. That fluid will keep everything out. You won't evaporate that much in the short fermenting time, unless you're fermenting a sour ale for a year plus. If that was the case i wouldn't put it outside.

Thanks Rob2010SS and Stella_tigre

I will probably get a better quality airlock, one that doesnt bubble over so easily, or perhaps that blowoff tube idea could work out aswel.

Thanks for the suggestions !
B

Hi Bryden and welcome. I make wines and meads and I often find drowned fruit flies inside my water filled airlocks despite the fine filter I have across the top. The flies , however, cannot get into the wine. They cannot scuba dive: the airlock is always kept full of water. Absent liquid, however, the device is not an airlock just a fancy opening on your fermenter.

Or set up a blowoff tube into a bigger bottle of water or sanitizer.

As long as the tube stays submerged and over pressure keeps the gas and waste yeast moving, I doubt any bugs would be sturdy enough to swim inside - or lift the rubber cap.
If they're that tough I wouldn't mess with them.

I have left my fermenters in some places I don't care to admit, and have had some insects around them but none ever made it into the beer, even when the airlock was fairly dry. I don't know where you live, so if your in AZ or something you may want to go with the blow off tube and a lot of water, but I have to leave an airlock alone for a VERY long time before it goes dry, like months and months.

Otherwise, you could just buy the "S" style airlock.....

I have left my fermenters in some places I don't care to admit, and have had some insects around them but none ever made it into the beer, even when the airlock was fairly dry. I don't know where you live, so if your in AZ or something you may want to go with the blow off tube and a lot of water, but I have to leave an airlock alone for a VERY long time before it goes dry, like months and months.

Otherwise, you could just buy the "S" style airlock.....

Im in Australia, living in Sydney. We have flies and mozzies, mostly I anticipate the mozzies getting closest to the airlock. I will go with the thin mesh over the blowoff valve secured with rubber band and keep an eye on.

When I used sanitizer in the airlock I got fruit flies trapped in there. When I used Vodka, Tequila, Rum in the airlock the insects did not enter. The bugs do not like hard liquor. The insects do not make it into the beer.

I'd look for a large pickle jar to invert over the whole top of the fermenter, airlock and all. Should slow the rate of evaporation from the airlock and keep dust and bugs from getting too close. If you want to go a step further, cut a hole in a piece of cloth or an old t-shirt large enough to fit over the neck of the fermenter to act as a gasket between it and the rim of the jar, to keep crawling things out. You can almost seal the whole thing and the tiny bit of gas the fermenter bubbles out will have no trouble diffusing through a cloth gasket. This is what I plan to do when I ferment in the garage, to avoid fruit flies, garbage smells, or whatever from getting anywhere near my airlock. I mean, there's beer in there.

@bryden

You need this:

airlock-sterilock-32f.jpg

More info:

https://www.sterilock.co.uk/

Back