Input on my entrance into the Session IPA world

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brentk14

Reaction score
I've been kicking around brewing up a Session IPA for some time, and with summer right around the corner, I can't beat the timing. It's kind of my take on the Pliny the Toddler I've seen on here, and a another site, but with Simcoe and Citra. I'm a huge fan of Knee Deep's Simtra, but wish I could drink more than one. What do you guys think? Any suggestions would be great.

Planning on mashing at 156. Probably use Wyeast American Ale.

9 lb Pale 2-Row 45%
9 lb Maris Otter 45%
2 lb Carapils 10%
20 lb Total

Hops

1 oz Nugget 60 min
1 oz Simcoe 10 min
1 oz Citra Pellet 10 min
1 oz Simcoe5 min
1 oz Citra 5 min
1 oz Simcoe Flameout
1 oz Citra Flameout
2 oz Simcoe Dry Hop
2 oz Citra Dry Hop

I'm guessing this is for a ten gallon batch?
If so it sounds amazing.
Only thing I would change is to dial back the carapils. 20% sounds like a lot to me...then again I'm just getting into the AG world.

Agree with comment above on the Carapils. I'd also mash at a lower temp. 150ish.

It is for a 10g batch. The carapils is 10% of the grain, 2lbs in 20lb grain bill. I was thinking doing 1lb of Vienna, and 1lb of Carapils. I'm also considering changing my 60min addition of Nugget to a FWH addition. Not quite sure yet.

Last edited:
Still think 10% Carapils is a bit too much. On some of my IPA's I do some Vienna and 1 lb of carapils and it works well. Also 10 gallon batches.

For what its worth, I usually mash my session IPAs much lower...148-152. Read that somewhere when researching Founders All Day Clones as inspiration.

Also, I prefer first wort hopping for my IPAs to get a nice smooth bitterness to compliment the late additions.

i don't think 10% CP is too much...you want some body with a session IPA. go for it.

I vote for mashing at 156, it has worked great. I have only done two session IPA's but it really helped to give the beer some mouthfeel. I think mashing lower at 148-150 will also produce an amazing beer and is probably closer to All day but I prefer more body.

Interesting. I would have thought that mashing high was important for a session IPA. Starting at like 1.040 and going with the Chico strain could take you as low as 1.006, leaving the beer super thin/watery. Am I wrong about this? What's the FG on an All Day IPA?

I think this is what I am going to go with, but not sure if I need to add the Vienna if I have that much Maris Otter, what do you think?

9 lb Pale 2-Row 43%
9 lb Maris Otter 43%
1.5 lb Carapils 7%
1.5 lb Vienna 7%
21 lb Total

I'm also going to FWH the Nugget instead of adding at 60.

You know what?
Some valid points here considering this is a low abv/session beer.
Granted, I'm not very experienced but I do read...a lot...
Either a higher mash or more specialty malts (or both) may in fact keep this from becoming a watery hop tea.
Very interested in where this goes.

this was the grain bill for the latest session IPA I did (5.5gal batch). Body was spot on for what I wanted. I stressed the hops more than that though. Fermented with wy1318 instead of my usual Conan so it wouldnt attenuate quite as much.

55% 2 row
24% wheat
9% flaked oats
9% vienna
4% honey malt

I think you're on the right track. The advise to drop the mash temp and drop the carapils might be valid for a standard IPA but a session needs body. I would go with the higher mash temp, your Vienna/carapils mix looks good. Wheat or oats might be good as moops recommends. The only thing I would watch is your bitterness. Make sure you run your hop schedule through a calc to estimate the IBUs.

OP,

I've been diligently working on a good session 'ipa' for the past 6 months or so and this is what I've come up with:

95% pale, 5% light crystal = 1.030 post boil wort
mash high, really high, like 163f high
NO hops in the boil, 4oz of hops for a hop steep for 30 minutes @ 170-175f. 2-3 oz keg hop.
Ferment with an interesting yeast. I like WLP644. (That said, a double batch fermented with two different yeasts (Nottingham in one, 644 in the other) is a nice change up)

These beers have suitable bitterness, great aroma in a 2.5 - 3% package.

OP,

I've been diligently working on a good session 'ipa' for the past 6 months or so and this is what I've come up with:

95% pale, 5% light crystal = 1.030 post boil wort
mash high, really high, like 163f high
NO hops in the boil, 4oz of hops for a hop steep for 30 minutes @ 170-175f. 2-3 oz keg hop.
Ferment with an interesting yeast. I like WLP644. (That said, a double batch fermented with two different yeasts (Nottingham in one, 644 in the other) is a nice change up)

These beers have suitable bitterness, great aroma in a 2.5 - 3% package.

I like that idea. Super high mash temp. I'll keep posting back on how this turned out. Can't wait. Brewery is cleaned and ready to go, filling up HLT so in the AM I can flip the switch and go.

Brew day on this went fairly smooth, however, I missed my mash temp by a bit. I under shot the amount of water I was adding, so I think that was the problem. Shot for 156, hit 153, and it sat there for 30 minutes before I bumped it up. I wanted to have 12-12.5 gal to boil, but I ended up with 11. My OG ended up at 1.050, so obviously higher than I wanted, but I am still really excited for this beer. I'll post pictures, and tasting notes when it's finished. I figure I'll dry hop it after 10 days, and cold crash after a few days of DH. Probably keg the Monday after the Masters.

I second the opinion that 10% carapils isn't too much in a session beer. Without it it's going to be too thin.

I'd also mash warmer at 154+.

Latest posts

Back