Input on a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teufelhunde

Reaction score
OK, trying to come up with a (pretty much) original recipe here. My goal is for a full bodied, moderately bitter, piney IPA with maybe a slight bit of grapefruit/citrus in the background. Using a 30 minute boil, and dry hopping at high krausen to avoid some oxidation, hopefully avoid issues with hop creep, and shorten the time in fermentor(if all goes well, should be able to bottle 3 weeks after brewing).

I would welcome any critique or suggestions.....

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1277955/piney-ipa
Lon

I'm curious why the late DME addition?

when you dry hop consider bagging or a canister.
you may lose some volume after racking due to high volumes of trub. +

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

OK, trying to come up with a (pretty much) original recipe here. My goal is for a full bodied, moderately bitter, piney IPA with maybe a slight bit of grapefruit/citrus in the background. Using a 30 minute boil, and dry hopping at high krausen to avoid some oxidation, hopefully avoid issues with hop creep, and shorten the time in fermentor(if all goes well, should be able to bottle 3 weeks after brewing).

I would welcome any critique or suggestions.....

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1277955/piney-ipa
Lon
Hopefully, I will remember to report back to this thread with the results.

With my IPAs, I typically use 10% sugar in place of DME/LME.

Have you been able to find Briess Munich DME? I haven't been able to buy it for a couple of years & it's currently not listed at their web site.
Oops. Good catch. I can get the LME Munich locally, don't know about the DME

I'm curious why the late DME addition?

when you dry hop consider bagging or a canister.
you may lose some volume after racking due to high volumes of trub. +

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Doing the late add to allow for a little more bittering since using a 30 minute boil vs. 60 minutes. Going to be running the finished product through a 200 micron paint strainer bag, so trub shouldn't be an issue. I also have cannisters I could use.

I thought I would dredge up this dinosaur for an update. I bottled it this morning. All went as expected during the brewing and fermenting. It did end up sitting on the dry hops for 11 days due to COVID......dammit.

I don't think sitting on the hops that long did much if any harm. Although flat, it was really very drinkable good color and body and it had oodles of the pine aroma/flavor that I was looking for with just a smidge of grapefruit from the Citra. The Chinook spice came through in the background, and I'm not sure that works, next time I will bitter with nugget, I think.

This one is good enough that I am going to convert it to all grain and do again. Might also lighten it a bit by going to 49l or 20l for the crystal instead of 60l.

YMMV

Lon

Back