Inline GFCI, will it protect if it is between control panel and element?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spurge

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking at buying an inline GFCI (lazy and don't want to mess around with a spa panel) and being a noob to electric I was expecting it to be plugged into the system between my panel and the dryer outlet.

Looks like most inline GFCI's have NEMA 5-30P plugs.

Will I get the required protection by placing the GFCI inline between the panel and the element?

Thanks for the help!

The GFCI should protect whatever is downstream of it, so if you have it protecting the element, and that's the only electrical component you have run to your kettle (IE no liquid level switches or whatever) then it should provide protection. There'd be nothing protecting your pumps. The functionality of the GFCI also relies on you having your panel wired with the appropriate grounding methodology.

-Kevin

Thanks for the response. The main reason for the GFCI was to protect me, which is what it sounds like it will do in that spot.

Cheers!

Back