Initial sterilization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humble17

Reaction score
So I've got my fermenter fill with cool water and star San. I've put all my tubing etc in for sterilization. Question though, do I put the hydrometer in the soak as well. I see it has paper in it and I don't want to ruin it (if that's possibile). Thanks!

Adam

Oh, and what I the C-Brite that came with my kit use for? The tubing an such, bottles maybe?

Thanks again.

The paper is sealed inside the glass float isn't it? You do not have to sanitize the hydrometer. It will not contact the wort. DO NOT return the sample to the fermentation vessel.

C-Brite is a cleaner. You need to clean off all the debris. WASH, WASH then SANITIZE. Remember - DO NOT rinse off the StarSan.

Yes it is sealed. Figured I wouldn't hue it but the actual soaking is what scared me. Thank for the info.

1 more question though. Do u clean then sterilize or sterilize then clean? In other words use the C-Brite to clen then soak I'm the Star San.

c-brite is a chlorine scrub for your equipment. you use it to wash all your stuff before you sanitize everything.

you're hydrometer is water/liquid proof, it wouldn't work very well if it wasn't. i always sanitize EVRYTHING, hydro included, but really the hydro shouldn't be touching wort that's in or going in to the fermenter.

Yes it is sealed. Figured I wouldn't hue it but the actual soaking is what scared me. Thank for the info.

1 more question though. Do u clean then sterilize or sterilize then clean? In other words use the C-Brite to clen then soak I'm the Star San.

clean then sanitize.

Is it necessary to Use c-Brite on a new kit since there is no real bacteria built up yet?

Perfect. Thanks for all the help. I'm sure I'll be posting all kinds of questions and thus far everybody has been more than willing to assist. No making fun of the noob!

Back