Initial fermentation vessels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bramptonbrewer

Reaction score
Hi guys, just wondering what type of bin I can use to ferment my wine in. I have about 22 gallons of crushed grapes to ferment for about a week before pressing. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Just make sure that you get the commercial/industrial brutes that are stamped with NSF, those are safe. I'd get a 32 gallon Brute, but here is what I've found:
The 20 gallon brute can ferment 3 - 36 lb lugs, 4 if you push it a little, with 4 lugs, 108 -144 lbs, I believe that the cap is right up against the lid, but it's been a while since I made a small batch.
The 32 Gallon brute can handle 7 - 36 lb lugs or 252 lbs of grapes and still have enough room for the cap.
The 44 gallon Brute can handle up to 10 lugs, or 360 lbs but the cap will be up against the lid, 7 lugs fits perfectly and gives the grapes enough room to ferment, 7 lugs in the 44 gal. maintained the heat better as well.

I was at HD earlier and looking at the Brute 32 gallon and the lady there didn't think it was food grade. The number inside the triangle at the bottom was 4. And I've always heard that only a 1 or 2 is food grade. Am I wrong?

Mine is currently tied up but #4 sounds right. As pumpkin man said make sure you find the NSF logo on it and you will be fine. Remember it's only in the plastic for a week or so.

Grapes crushed on Sunday. All natural fermentation hasn't started yet? SG 1104. Cabernet Sav

Got home today and the cap was lifting nicely, it's looking good. We should be ready for pressing by Sundays. I hope.

good deal....I am very interested in wild yeast fermentation....My main interest is in initial wild yeast fermentation with the addition of cultured yeast after fermentation begins...so glad you are enjoying the local microbes...rock on

Back