Ingredients shelf life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfulin19

Reaction score
I am wondering about some grains and hops I have. I've had them for about 1 year the grains and a few bags of hops are open. I kept them in a sealed container pretty air tight. I just want to know if they would still be good to use. Also the grains are crushed. I have a few sealed bags of hops as well they are the same age.

Would they still be good enough to throw together and make a random beer with?

Taste the grain, if it isn't too stale I would use it. Most advise using crushed grains within a month or so.

The hops are probably pretty bad. I use a vacuum sealer and keep them frozen and get a year or more. If they weren't well sealed and frozen they will have lost most of their uumph.. If they smell good and hoppy I might use them as an addition, not counting them for any real addition, to new fresh hops.

I hate throwing anything away but, if there is any question I would toss them rather than mess up a batch of beer.

That said, if you have a yeast cake you can draw from, you could make a mystery brew and hope for the best. You would not lose anything other than the time to brew the beer, a little propane (if you use it) and some bottle caps. (or co2 if you keg). If you taste before bottling and it is bad, you can save the caps or co2. Nothing lost but the time.

Back